Notes from a Big Country: A Selection (1998)

by Bill Bryson

Bryson recalls his return to the United States after twenty years in England.

English (102)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Polish (1)  All languages (108)
I enjoyed this book. He made some interesting obsetvations and it was an amusing read. If you are looking for a quick, funny read I would recommend it. ( )
  queenofthebobs | Mar 14, 2021 |
Another winner from Bill Bryson. This book is a bit dated now, but for the most part that only adds to the hilarity. ( )
  AngelClaw | Nov 4, 2019 |
Bryson is such a great story teller. ( )
  zhoud2005 | Aug 16, 2019 |
A collection of columns Bryson wrote for a British paper on living in the US after moving back to the states from the UK 20 years after leaving. Some laugh-aloud moments and several witty bits, but overall it's not my favorite of Bryson's work. Read straight through, there's just a little too much grousing for my tastes, and it makes Bryson seem more sanctimonious than I hope he actually is. ( )
  electrascaife | Jul 7, 2019 |
A little too Andy Rooney for me. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
You can be a Bryson fan -- and I am, really -- and still think that these particular columns might best have been left to their original foreign audience. People who have lived in the United States more recently than the mid-1970's have already recovered from their astonishment that there is a breakfast cereal called Count Chocula.

To Cynthia, David, Felicity, Catherine, and Sam
I once joked in a book that there are three things you can't do in life.
Published in Britain as "Notes from a Big Country"

Bryson recalls his return to the United States after twenty years in England.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,754,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible