I'm a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on…

I'm a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to America After 20… (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Bill Bryson

Member:xydexx
Title:I'm a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to America After 20 Years Away
Authors:Bill Bryson
Info:Broadway (2000), Paperback, 304 pages

I'm a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to America After 20 Years Away by Bill Bryson (1999)

English (92)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Polish (1)  All (96)
Bill Bryson is so funny - I just love his writing. This one I could really relate to - from growing up as an expat and then coming "home". ( )
  CindaMac | Mar 26, 2017 |
Laugh out loud funny. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
Comedy of Australia ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 10, 2017 |
This collection of articles written about America for a British newspaper in the 1990s are dated but still mildly entertaining. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Many very funny pieces--the one on tax forms is worth the price of the book all by itself. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Feb 16, 2016 |
You can be a Bryson fan -- and I am, really -- and still think that these particular columns might best have been left to their original foreign audience. People who have lived in the United States more recently than the mid-1970's have already recovered from their astonishment that there is a breakfast cereal called Count Chocula.

To Cynthia, David, Felicity, Catherine, and Sam
I once joked in a book that there are three things you can't do in life.
Published in Britain as "Notes from a Big Country"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 076790382X, Paperback)

In the world of contemporary travel writing, Bill Bryson, the bestselling author of A Walk in the Woods, often emerges as a major contender for King of Crankiness. Granted, he complains well and humorously, but between every line of his travel books you can almost hear the tinny echo: "I wanna go home, I miss my wife."

Happily, I'm a Stranger Here Myself unleashes a new Bryson, more contemplative and less likely to toss daggers. After two decades in England, he's relocated to Hanover, New Hampshire. In this collection (drawn from dispatches for London's Night & Day magazine), he's writing from home, in close proximity to wife and family. We find a happy marriage between humor and reflection as he assesses life both in New England and in the contemporary United States. With the telescopic perspective of one who's stepped out of the American mainstream and come back after 20 years, Bryson aptly holds the mirror up to U.S. culture, capturing its absurdities--such as hotlines for dental floss, the cult of the lawsuit, and strange American injuries such as those sustained from pillows and beds. "In the time it takes you to read this," he writes, "four of my fellow citizens will somehow manage to be wounded by their bedding."

The book also reflects the sweet side of small-town USA, with columns about post-office parties, dining at diners, and Thanksgiving--when the only goal is to "get your stomach into the approximate shape of a beach ball" and be grateful. And grateful we are that the previously peripatetic Bryson has returned to the U.S., turning his eye to this land--while living at home and near his wife. Under her benevolent influence, he entertains through thoughtful insights, not sarcastic stabs. --Melissa Rossi

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:20 -0400)

This is a hysterically funny tour of America's most outrageous absurdities from a master humorist. Delivering the brilliant comic musings that are his hallmark, Bryson, who lived 20 years abroad, proves that there's truly no place like home, especially if it's in America.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,196,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible