In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the…

In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, Book 2) (original 1984; edition 2011)

by Tamora Pierce (Author)

Series: Song of the Lioness Quartet (2), Tortall Universe (9 (Song of the Lioness 2))

5,020511,619 (4.11)107
Pursuing her desire to be a knight, Alanna learns many things in her role as squire to Prince Jonathan, but fears Duke Roger, an ambitious sorcerer with whom she knows she will one day have to deal.
Member:ozsa
Title:In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, Book 2)
Authors:Tamora Pierce (Author)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2011), Edition: Reprint, 272 pages

In the Hand of the Goddess by Tamora Pierce (1984)

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is another great fantasy romance with plenty of adventure with a strong female character.
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (0628perfect)
    0628perfect: The female protagonist has to hide her sex and disguises herself as a boy to achieve her dream just like Alanna.
    Desert Witch by Nicholas Todd (FFortuna)

Overall, a good book. There are a few points that were just confusing, and details at the beginning that were unceremoniously dropped into conversations (there was info we needed to know but it didn't fit well into the narrative, so it stuck out). It got better as the book went on, though I still dont see the point of the weird romance side-plot. ( )
  augusti3 | Jan 16, 2021 |
Another good installment in the series. It's a quick read and enjoyable. I've got book 3 lined up and ready to read. ( )
  wills2003 | Jul 30, 2020 |
I read this for the "A Teen As The Main Character" part of my 2019 reading challenge. I love Tamora Pierce, and this is one of my favorite series for sure. I devour her books every time. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
Recounts Alanna's adventures as a Squire, preparing to become a knight and revealing her sex to all of her friends who have known her only as a boy.

I wasn't as enthralled with this second book in the quartet finding the plot a bit too episodic with an insufficient sense of time between events. I'll definitely be finishing the series but I'm hoping the writing and plotting in the next book is much smoother. ( )
  MickyFine | Oct 17, 2019 |
I was glad to get back to this series and wasn't disappointed. Alanna is now a squire to Prince Jonathan and slowly growing up. She still knows that there is a sorcerer out there who wishes the royal family ill. However, she also knows she is in the hand of the goddess, although she never takes it for granted. In some ways this reads like a "good parts" version as most of the boring, daily routines of a squire's life are skipped over. I'm good with that -- after all, I don't really want to read "Alan got up, did squire stuff, and then went to bed. The next day was much the same."

As an adult reader, much seems obvious because I've read it before. However, it was still "new" to the young adult fantasy genre back when this book was written. To me, the fun was in the details of how everything was happening. Were there many surprises? No. But what shone through was that friendship and ties to other people are important. The real heroes are in many ways the ones who keep the story's hero grounded, much as Samwise did for Frodo.

Highly recommended as young adult fantasy, although I think adult readers familiar with the genre will also enjoy it. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Jul 6, 2019 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alvarado, TriniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyer, MarileeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patti,JoyceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Tom -- the shoehorn for my triple D-sized love

and

to George, Pam, and Denise -- together we'll go very fast and very far on little tracks
The copper-haired rider looked at the black sky and swore.
"Why do boys say someone acts like a girl as if it were an insult?" (chapter 1, p.3)
"So?  He was stupid.  If I killed everyone who was stupid, I wouldn't have time to sleep" (33).

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,314,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible