dismiss

In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the…

In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness (Paperback)) (original 1984; edition 2005)

by Tamora Pierce

Pursuing her desire to be a knight, Alanna learns many things in her role as squire to Prince Jonathan, but fears Duke Roger, an ambitious sorcerer with whom she knows she will one day have to deal.
Member:evareads
Title:In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness (Paperback))
Authors:Tamora Pierce
Info:Simon Pulse (2005), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:fantasy, girls

In the Hand of the Goddess by Tamora Pierce (1984)

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is another great fantasy romance with plenty of adventure with a strong female character.
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (0628perfect)
    0628perfect: The female protagonist has to hide her sex and disguises herself as a boy to achieve her dream just like Alanna.
    Desert Witch by Nicholas Todd (FFortuna)

I read this for the "A Teen As The Main Character" part of my 2019 reading challenge. I love Tamora Pierce, and this is one of my favorite series for sure. I devour her books every time. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
Recounts Alanna's adventures as a Squire, preparing to become a knight and revealing her sex to all of her friends who have known her only as a boy.

I wasn't as enthralled with this second book in the quartet finding the plot a bit too episodic with an insufficient sense of time between events. I'll definitely be finishing the series but I'm hoping the writing and plotting in the next book is much smoother. ( )
  MickyFine | Oct 17, 2019 |
I was glad to get back to this series and wasn't disappointed. Alanna is now a squire to Prince Jonathan and slowly growing up. She still knows that there is a sorcerer out there who wishes the royal family ill. However, she also knows she is in the hand of the goddess, although she never takes it for granted. In some ways this reads like a "good parts" version as most of the boring, daily routines of a squire's life are skipped over. I'm good with that -- after all, I don't really want to read "Alan got up, did squire stuff, and then went to bed. The next day was much the same."

As an adult reader, much seems obvious because I've read it before. However, it was still "new" to the young adult fantasy genre back when this book was written. To me, the fun was in the details of how everything was happening. Were there many surprises? No. But what shone through was that friendship and ties to other people are important. The real heroes are in many ways the ones who keep the story's hero grounded, much as Samwise did for Frodo.

Highly recommended as young adult fantasy, although I think adult readers familiar with the genre will also enjoy it. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Jul 6, 2019 |
I loved seeing the next steps for Alanna as she became a knight and told everyone the truth. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

My sister and my boys have told me to read Tamora Pierce as far back as I can remember, so much so I thought I had. By now, I’m pretty sure I didn’t, or if I did, it was a different series. I’m having a great time exploring Tortall. It’s a sign of strong writing when, despite having read several books since the first in the Song of the Lioness series, I recognized all the characters when they reappeared in book two. More than that, I remembered the complications and suspicions, both Alanna’s and my own.

I had one small quibble in that the book is almost a series of short stories tied together with large time jumps. It took me a bit to adjust to this, but since nothing much happened in the time jumps, I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. The story is a mix of action and summary to get you to the next point of action, covering a large time span…that of Alanna’s time as a squire for Jonathan.

The focus is less on her schooling than her emotional development. She’s still determined to see herself as both the same as any other squire and somehow exempt from the physical and emotional changes of puberty. Both George and Jonathan have something to say about that, as does an odd encounter in the woods.

Along with her relationships and challenges involved with her secret, Alanna is thrown into the realities of politics and battle. I thought both situations were well written as was the tangle of her direct enemy in this book, one she suspected but lacked proof of before. Interesting solution for why she didn’t come forward earlier though I’ll say no more for fear of spoilers.

I like Alanna. I like her friends, her familiar (yes, she gets claimed by a cat), and the complications she faces. She has help from odd quarters, but neither depends too heavily on that help nor takes it for granted. This last is huge because, while she’s the hero (capital H and all), she is never an island able to accomplish everything on her own and without tripping points. It makes her feel real and easier to form a bond with. ( )
  MarFisk | Aug 12, 2018 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alvarado, TriniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyer, MarileeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patti,JoyceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Tom -- the shoehorn for my triple D-sized love

and

to George, Pam, and Denise -- together we'll go very fast and very far on little tracks
The copper-haired rider looked at the black sky and swore.
"Why do boys say someone acts like a girl as if it were an insult?" (chapter 1, p.3)
"So?  He was stupid.  If I killed everyone who was stupid, I wouldn't have time to sleep" (33).

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,653,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible