In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the…

In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness (Paperback)) (original 1984; edition 2005)

by Tamora Pierce

Member:evareads
Title:In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness (Paperback))
Authors:Tamora Pierce
Info:Simon Pulse (2005), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:fantasy, girls

In the Hand of the Goddess by Tamora Pierce (1984)

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is another great fantasy romance with plenty of adventure with a strong female character.
    Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman (0628perfect)
    0628perfect: The female protagonist has to hide her sex and disguises herself as a boy to achieve her dream just like Alanna.

Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

My sister and my boys have told me to read Tamora Pierce as far back as I can remember, so much so I thought I had. By now, I’m pretty sure I didn’t, or if I did, it was a different series. I’m having a great time exploring Tortall. It’s a sign of strong writing when, despite having read several books since the first in the Song of the Lioness series, I recognized all the characters when they reappeared in book two. More than that, I remembered the complications and suspicions, both Alanna’s and my own.

I had one small quibble in that the book is almost a series of short stories tied together with large time jumps. It took me a bit to adjust to this, but since nothing much happened in the time jumps, I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. The story is a mix of action and summary to get you to the next point of action, covering a large time span…that of Alanna’s time as a squire for Jonathan.

The focus is less on her schooling than her emotional development. She’s still determined to see herself as both the same as any other squire and somehow exempt from the physical and emotional changes of puberty. Both George and Jonathan have something to say about that, as does an odd encounter in the woods.

Along with her relationships and challenges involved with her secret, Alanna is thrown into the realities of politics and battle. I thought both situations were well written as was the tangle of her direct enemy in this book, one she suspected but lacked proof of before. Interesting solution for why she didn’t come forward earlier though I’ll say no more for fear of spoilers.

I like Alanna. I like her friends, her familiar (yes, she gets claimed by a cat), and the complications she faces. She has help from odd quarters, but neither depends too heavily on that help nor takes it for granted. This last is huge because, while she’s the hero (capital H and all), she is never an island able to accomplish everything on her own and without tripping points. It makes her feel real and easier to form a bond with. ( )
  MarFisk | Aug 12, 2018 |
(This is a re-read. I read this book as a young girl, and just want to reacquaint myself with it.)
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 26, 2018 |
I loved the Alanna books when I was a child. In this one, Alanna acquires a magical kitten, fights armies and wolves, finally has her Ordeal of Knighthood, examines her fear of love, and saves the life of the Queen. ( )
  atreic | Jan 24, 2018 |
I didn't really realize back when I was 10 how the pacing of this book is so off, and time seems to jerk about with many stops and starts instead of flowing as time should. But since I didn't notice/care about that when I was 10, I suppose it's written well enough for the age group for which the book is intended.

A good story with lots of good bits, despite the sometimes awkward narration. I still love this series, and like to reread it every few era, especially as I'm a "big girl" now an can read each book in about an hour. ( )
1 vote ElleyOtter | Nov 28, 2017 |
I like this book enough to instantly jump on to the next one. Action packed with mystery and revelations. I think the romance between jon n alana was introduced for no reason and for me it did not add to the story but only brought 1 star off its rating. George is a character I love, he is a humane character. I dont thing the ending was cathartic though. I mean it was a little rushed and i think it could have been better. Overall however the progression of the story was good and it kept me wanting to what happened next; if only the ending was not written in a rush i would be able to say i love it. ( )
  M.Akter.Tonima | Nov 3, 2017 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alvarado, TriniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyer, MarileeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Patti,JoyceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Tom -- the shoehorn for my triple D-sized love

and

to George, Pam, and Denise -- together we'll go very fast and very far on little tracks
The copper-haired rider looked at the black sky and swore.
"Why do boys say someone acts like a girl as if it were an insult?" (chapter 1, p.3)
"So?  He was stupid.  If I killed everyone who was stupid, I wouldn't have time to sleep" (33).

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0689878567, Mass Market Paperback)

"I don't want to fall in love. I just want to be a warrior maiden."

Still disguised as a boy, Alanna becomes a squire to none other than the prince of the realm. Prince Jonathan is not only Alanna's liege lord, he is also her best friend -- and one of the few who knows the secret of her true identity. But when a mysterious sorceror threatens the prince's life, it will take all of Alanna's skill, strength, and magical power to protect him -- even at the risk of revealing who she really is...

Alanna's journey continues...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:32 -0400)

Pursuing her desire to be a knight, Alanna learns many things in her role as squire to Prince Jonathan, but fears Duke Roger, an ambitious sorcerer with whom she knows she will one day have to deal. "I don't want to fall in love. I just want to be a warrior maiden." Still disguised as a boy, Alanna becomes a squire to none other than the prince of the realm. Prince Jonathan is not only Alanna's liege lord, he is also her best friend -- and one of the few who knows the secret of her true identity. But when a mysterious sorceror threatens the prince's life, it will take all of Alanna's skill, strength, and magical power to protect him -- even at the risk of revealing who she really is ... Filled with swords and sorcery, adventure and intrigue, good and evil, Alanna's second adventure continues the saga of a girl who dares to follow her dreams -- and the magical destiny that awaits her. Alanna's journey continues.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,791,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible