Insomnia by Stephen King

Insomnia (original 1994; edition 2016)

by Stephen King (Author)

8,259100631 (3.67)2 / 125
Old Ralph Roberts hasn't been sleeping well lately. Every night he wakes up just a little bit earlier, and pretty soon, he thinks, he won't get any sleep at all. It wouldn't be so bad, except for the strange hallucinations he's been having. Or, at least, he hopes they are hallucinations, because here in Derry, one never can tell.… (more)
Member:DeboraNunes
Title:Insomnia
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Gallery Books (2016), Edition: Reprint, 912 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, 2012

Insomnia by Stephen King (1994)

Recently added bySalka, Mum29, Warwin, GRgenius, rena75, MadKen76, justagirlwithabook, fosterfam, Bug66, private library
    It by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are set in Derry. There are many references to It in Insomnia.

English (91)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Polish (1)  French (1)  All languages (100)
I really didn't expect to like this book as much as I did, and it was quite a pleasant surprise. There's something really great about older characters; the experience they bring with them and adds so much to the depth and richness of the story. And as with other books I've read this year, it's disappointing to see how abortion continues to be such a divisive issue. Hopefully there will come a point in the future where people can seek medical care as they see fit without the needless interference of others. ( )
1 vote mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |
This was a painful book to get through. It was long, and not enjoyable.There are things I do not enjoy when reading, but strangely enough, some of the books I enjoy the most have these things: don't tell the story from beginning to end (I will purposely jump around a book if labeled so I can read it in chronological order;) leave out important stuff (I try to guess) revealing it later; and having characters / events that don't move the plot forward (nothing helps this.) This book did all that.
8,016 members; 3.66 average rating; 11/18/2018 ( )
  mainrun | Jan 13, 2019 |
he has worse books, for sure, for reasons all over the map, including the most important things - plot, editing, character development. these things were all fine here. but i still didn't like it. it's not those books, that really need work. this just didn't work for me for some reason. it was overlong, and his messaging is muddled. at one point i think he's even saying that lesbians are missing out, or are just avoiding men because of past trauma. it was inconsistent and uninteresting, for the most part. it wasn't badly written, i just wanted it to be better. still, i didn't ever have to make myself read it or push through; it just wasn't all that good along the way. there's something existential that didn't work for me, but i can't quite put my finger on what it was that was missing or lacking here. so not terrible or anything, but not right, and definitely not his caliber.

there are strong parallels to it. this takes place about 8 years after the events in that book, in the same town, and the final confrontation scene in this book mirrors that one. but everything in this book is inferior to it. i just wasn't moved by this almost at all, in spite of the fact that the surrounding atmosphere of the book was about abortion and domestic violence. it's not that he handled any of it badly, it just wasn't done well enough either. i don't know how to describe it, i guess, but all in all this wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Nov 30, 2018 |
I forgot how much I enjoy the writing of Stephen King. This was an interesting story. I liked older main characters dealing with aging for a change. I do think the story could have been told in fewer words. It got a little long winded at times. Still worth reading .

melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
Ralph Roberts just wants one good night of sleep before it kills him... or drives him insane... and at this point, he's not sure which of those is worse.

In Insomnia, we are treated to a look at the cosmic forces at play in Stephen King's multiverse. With events that tie directly to Roland's quest for the Dark Tower and the potential success of that quest, we are introduced to the Purpose, the Random, and finally come face to face with the Crimson King himself.

A cosmic chess game is played out in the small town of Derry, Maine, where only 8 years ago the most malevolent force of all was finally banished. Now other forces are at work, and the fate of King's multiverse hinges on how this particular fight turns out.

Little bald doctors, insomniac retirees, the colors at play on levels beyond normal sight, and one madman with a mission; sounds like a real barnstormer... er, burner, barn burner.

I do have to say that I really enjoyed this one. It had me champing at the bit to see what would happen next. ( )
1 vote regularguy5mb | Feb 7, 2018 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bihari, GyörgyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gelder, Eny vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallach, EliNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Old age is an island surrounded by death. -- Juan Montalvo, On Beauty
For Tabby... and for Al Kooper, who knows the playing field. No fault of mine.
No one--least of all Dr. Litchfield--came right out and told Ralph Roberts that his wife was going to die, but there came a time when Ralph understood without needing to be told.
This entry has mismatched title and ISBN. Do not use.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,169,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible