The Plague of Fantasies by Slavoj Žižek

The Plague of Fantasies

by Slavoj Žižek

The Plague of Fantasies never abandoned its grip. Even while it flogged me and mocked my struggles. "Its too theoretical", it chortled as I would stumble. A generous pause and hefty lift would return me to my feet --just so it could spit again in my face. If it were not for the appendices at the book's conclusion, I would wager that I had gathered little from the experience. The these three addendum (three uneasy pieces) made the difference: the first on film discussed our willful shame as cinema viewers, the second dwells on classical music and notes the arrival of the failing melody which distinguishes the distance between romanticism and classicism, especially in the work of Robert Schuman. The final piece was on Kant and his forsaken notion of Diabolical Evil. This leads to haunting exposition on the Shoah.

Only for hard-core theorists. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |

Modern audiovisual media have spawned a 'plague of fantasies', electronically inspired phantasms that cloud the ability to reason and prevent a true understanding of a world increasingly dominated by abstractions--whether those of digital technology or the speculative market. Into this arena, enters Zizek: equipped with an agile wit and the skills of a prodigious scholar, he confidently ranges among a dazzling array of cultural references--explicating Robert Schumann as deftly as he does John Carpenter--to demonstrate how the modern condition blinds us to the ideological basis of our lives.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,470,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible