Lives of Monster Dogs by Kirsten Bakis

Lives of Monster Dogs (original 1998; edition 1997)

by Kirsten Bakis

A group of talking monster dogs in top hats and tails become instant celebrities when they arrive in New York in the year 2008. Refugees from a Canadian town isolated for 100 years, the dogs retain the 19th-century Prussian culture of their creator. But a mysterious disease is wiping them out.
Member:wee-wyrms
Title:Lives of Monster Dogs
Authors:Kirsten Bakis
Info:Farrar, Straus & Giroux, LLC (1997), Hardcover
Rating:***

Lives of the Monster Dogs by Kirsten Bakis (1998)

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (raizel)
    raizel: It's been a long time since I read this, but I remember the same feeling of sadness about the whole sorry affair.

Another one bites the dust. Part Island of Dr. Marrau, part literature, all good. Reminded me of something Johnathan Letham would write.

Kirsten Bakis is great! ( )
  Vulco1 | Oct 12, 2018 |
Lost me about 3/4 of the way in. I mean, it's a bit twee to begin with but then it starts with spirits and dreams and psychic abilities and admittedly very touching bits about death, god, and personhood ... sorry I just can't get into magic realism stuff, like ever. I think it's the tone. It's like the book is going "oooOOOOoooOOoooo" at me. Distracting...

Actually now that I have read some other people's reviews yeah it is a bit like she was like "eh, whatever *magic happens*" towards the end. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
While this book has its flaws (it is a first novel, after all), the fantasy of the monster dogs and the emotion with which Bakis imbued her characters were transporting and affecting. ( )
  kalinichta | Jun 30, 2017 |
(Fiction, Science-fiction)

Amazon: “Created by a German mad scientist in the 19th century, the monster dogs possess human intelligence, speak human language, have prosthetic humanlike hands and walk upright on hind legs. The dogs’ descendants arrive in New York City in the year 2008, still acting like Victorian-era aristocrats.”

Although this was well-written and interesting, I wasn’t as caught up in the tragic lives of these dogs as I should have been. 3½ stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Nov 1, 2016 |
I mainly picked this book up because the title sounds like the name of a pop punk band, or at least the potential lyrics in a song sang by said band. (WE ARE, yeah yeah, we arrrreee the lives of the monster dogs...MONSTER MONSTER!!!)

Something with such an interesting title should not be allowed to be this boring... apparently I'm in the minority on this point however as this book seems to have gotten quite a lot of favorable reviews. I will say that the author had a decent idea and commanded it well throughout the book. The movement of the story was well laid out and the characters were well rounded and thought out. I just kept waiting for something to start rolling and I finished the book feeling unsatisfied. I can't say I hated it completely but I can say that this book will probably be looking for a new home shortly. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |

Kirsten Bakisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vandermeer, JeffIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In length and breadth how doth my poodle grow!

—Goethe, Faust
In the years since the monster dogs were here with us, in New York, I've often been asked to write something about the time I spent with them. [from Preface]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,604,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible