Prophecy: Child of Earth (Rhapsody Trilogy)…

Prophecy: Child of Earth (Rhapsody Trilogy) (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Elizabeth Haydon

Member:evareads
Title:Prophecy: Child of Earth (Rhapsody Trilogy)
Authors:Elizabeth Haydon
Info:Tor Books (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 736 pages
Tags:fantasy

Prophecy: Child of Earth by Elizabeth Haydon (2001)

I found this book decidedly more tedious the second time around, some 20 years after my first reading. Still, it advanced the story, and it was nice to see some plot points resolve themselves. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
Having found an ancient dragon claw in the depths of Ylorc, Rhapsody vows to return it to it's original owner. Accompanied by the mysterious Ashe, Rhapsody sets off on another journey, this time to find the dragon Elynsynos and return the piece of her missing hoard before the dragon takes her anger out on the surrounding countryside and her Bolg friends. Less than pleased at Rhapsody's decision, but knowing they are unable to change her mind, Achmed and Grunthor stay at home in Ylorc as they search to uncover more secrets that Gwilliam left behind. Yet evil never sleeps and the threat of the F'dor continues to grow, whether they know it or not.

Prophecy is the second on the Rhapsody trilogy and larger Symphony of Ages series. The story picks where events in the first book leave off. The beginning of the story plods, literally, as there is a lot of travel in the first portion of this book. Haydon does a decent job getting the reader through by using this time for some friendly banter and also as a way to give more background information about the world and the characters. Haydon's descriptive writing is beautiful and yes there is a lot of it. The dialogue is both fun and cringe worthy, but in a good way. Seeing how badly some of the interactions go and almost making us feel embarrassed for the characters does a good job of making the characters feel human.

That said, you'll either love or hate Rhapsody as the story progresses. She is definitely in Mary Sue territory. While I found her somewhat annoying at times overall it didn't bother me or hinder my enjoyment of the story.

This book definitely takes on a more adult theme. There is a lot more romance in this book than the first as well as more violence. Haydon is not afraid to get into details either so it may not be the best series for a younger reader.

I'm still enjoying my reread. It is as I remembered it from years past. ( )
  Narilka | Jul 3, 2015 |
Signed in recognition of my honorable mention in the Firbolg songwriting contest. It was probably horrible, like all of my other "poetry" from that era, but I still look on the inscription fondly.
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 29, 2013 |
I loved the first book; Rhapsody, and straight away i ordered this so i could continue the story. I wish i had left it as a standalone. The whole point of a fantasy book in my opinion is the action, adventure and magic. I don't mind a romance in there as well of course because that is life. realism.
What Haydon does here though is introduce us the evil they will inevitabely encounter and also introduce us to a pairing that will inevitabely flourish into a romance. clean cut and fair enough. But to have to read one hundred pages about them "making love" when they finally do get together and then be cheated with 2 pages of the confrontation with the evil shortly afterwards it just leaves you severely let down and with 100 pages still to read i had lost all interest. ( )
  Teratorns | Jun 14, 2009 |
I believe the symphony of ages series has become one of my favorites despite myself. A fun if kind of dark book that will appeal to a lot of fantasy readers. The characters are very well written, which makes all the difference to me. ( )
  Nikkles | Jun 10, 2008 |
To the peacemakers and the negotiators
The nightmare chasers and the kissers of knee scrapes
Those who build up the civilization of the world one child at a time
The legacy creators, the history writers
Those who honor the Past by shaping the Future
Particularly the ones I know most intimately
With profound love
Meridion sat in the darkness, lost in thought.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812570820, Mass Market Paperback)

Three cheers for Elizabeth Haydon! One great book (Rhapsody: Child of Blood) might be a fluke. But its sequel, Prophecy: Child of Earth, keeps right on developing great characters in a believable fantasy world without sacrificing the momentum of a terrific story. Best of all, Haydon promises to bring the current adventure to a conclusion in the next book, so no need to fear TNS (the never-ending saga).

Prophecy continues the stories of Rhapsody, the Namer who uses song, herb-lore, and affinities with fire and starlight to heal and protect, and her adoptive family: Achmed the Snake, an obnoxious former assassin and King of the savage Firbolg race, and Grunthor, his huge, cheerfully cannibalistic sidekick. Rhapsody travels in the company of the mysterious Ashe, who becomes much less mysterious as the story progresses. She meets a dragon, trains with a Lirin swordmistress who once carried Rhapsody's fiery sword, Daystar Clarion, and races to prevent the assassination of the Patriarch of Sepulvarta. Meanwhile, Achmed and Grunthor discover secrets of their mountain stronghold and learn more of their own powers. Together they repel renewed attacks by the F'dor, a demon seeking apocalyptic destruction. But they have not yet identified the demon's host or disarmed all of its agents, and time is running out.

Fans of epic fantasy will find Haydon a worthy successor to Tolkien, ranking with Robin Hobb and Guy Gavriel Kay. Just don't start reading too late in the day--once you've begun, you won't want to stop. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:21 -0400)

Rhapsody, a singer of great talent; Achmed, an assassin with unearthly talents; and Grunthor, the giant of jolly disposition and deadly skill with weapons-these three may be their world's only hope. But their time is running short and they must find their elusive enemy before his darkness consumes them all. The breathtaking sequel to Rhapsody. The three heroes return-they may be the world's only hope, but time is running short. They must find their elusive enemy before his darkness consumes them all. In Rhapsody, a fellowship was forged-three companions who, through great adversity, became a force to be reckoned with: Rhapsody, a singer of great talent and even greater beauty; Achmed, an assassin with unearthly talents; and Grunthor, a giant Sergeant-Major whose jolly disposition stands at odds with his deadly skill at weapons. Having fled the F'dor-an ancient, powerful evil-the three emerged on the other side of the world, only to discover fourteen centuries had passed. Their homeland had been destroyed, their people scattered across several continents, and everyone they ever knew had long since passed away-except, perhaps, the F'dor. Prophecy continues this powerful epic. Driven by a prophetic vision, Rhapsody races to rescue the religious leader of her new homeland while Achmed and Grunthor seek evidence of the F'dor. These three may be their world's only hope, the heroes spoken of in the Prophecy of the Three, but their time is running short. They must find their elusive enemy before his darkness consumes them all.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,792,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible