Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Norwegian Wood (original 1987; edition 2000)

by Haruki Murakami (Author), Jay Rubin (Translator)

16,485353321 (3.94)6 / 507
"Toru, a quiet and preternaturally serious young college student in Tokyo, is devoted to Naoko, a beautiful and introspective young woman, but their mutual passion is marked by the tragic death of their best friend years before. Toru begins to adapt to campus life and the loneliness and isolation he faces there, but Naoko finds the pressures and responsibilities of life unbearable. As she retreats further into her own world, Toru finds himself reaching out to others and drawn to a fiercely independent and sexually liberated young woman."--Back cover.… (more)
Member:mojojokie
Title:Norwegian Wood
Authors:Haruki Murakami (Author)
Other authors:Jay Rubin (Translator)
Info:Vintage (2000), Edition: First Paperback Edition, 298 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:not-for-school, e-books, unorganized

Work Information

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (1987)

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (philrafferty)
    philrafferty: Murakami's masterwork.
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (hippietrail, Jannes)
    Jannes: Many interesting parallells, and the protagonist of Norwegian Wood compares himself with Holden Caulfield from Catcher on several occations.
    1Q84 Book 1 by Haruki Murakami (jalonsoarevalo)
    jalonsoarevalo: MAravillosa recreación tomando como letmotiv el libro de Orwell 1984
    Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Lex23)
    Lex23: Both books beautifully describe a difficult relationship between a man and a woman with a psychiatric background
    In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (ursula)
    ursula: Murakami is influenced by Brautigan. Both are simple but weird tales of love and life.
    Who is Mr Satoshi? by Jonathan Lee (alzo)
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (PaulBerauer)
    Socrates In Love: Novel (Socrates in Love) by Kyoichi Katayama (alalba)
    The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides (aprille)

English (281)  Spanish (20)  Dutch (17)  Italian (8)  Catalan (5)  German (3)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Norwegian (Bokmål) (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Korean (1)  All languages (350)
This book says so much in so few pages and is probably the best I’ve ever read about mental health, depression and suicide. The book is told through the voice of a young Japanese college student called Toru. It is about his coming-of-age and how three very different women helped him grow up and gave him what he needed to keep him from falling into the depression that ever threatened after the death of his friend. It is set in the 1960’s culture revolution in Tokyo. It begins with the unexpected suicide of Toru’s best friend in high school, and takes Toru to college in Tokyo where he tries to forge a life for himself while dealing with the death of his 17 year old friend. The book is like a symphony with the blending of the music, the culture, and the dreaminess of the beginning of the rock and roll and drug culture. The book is marvellously real and we see the world through Toru’s eyes. I is like being in the middle of a dream. So much is said about mental health and the book illustrates so clearly the fragileness of the human psyche. Throughout, the pathos of the words from the Beatles song Norwegian Wood wrap a web around Toru and his world.
“I once had a girl, or should I say she had me?”—Norwegian Wood by The Beatles. This happens to be my favourite Beatles song and I will never be able to listen to it again without thinking of earnest, honest and caring Toru. I urge everyone to read this book. It is magical! ( )
  Romonko | Jul 14, 2024 |
Here's what I wrote in 2015 about this read: "Troubled Japanese youth in a culture that is embracing western music and values. Became a cult novel when published and made this author you've read before famous." ( )
  MGADMJK | Jul 2, 2024 |
It's hard for me to say anything specific about this book, except that I associated with a lot of it and enjoyed the style. Perhaps the only thing I disliked was the incredible number of suicidal characters. ( )
  mrbearbooks | Apr 22, 2024 |
Some books will manage to bring up emotions you never knew you could feel. For me, it was this book. This book is special to me. ( )
  buddhawithan.n | Feb 29, 2024 |
This is my first reading of an Haruki Murakami book. I took it off the bookshelf because I was going to Kyoto, his birthplace, thinking it might give me some insight into what it was to be Japanese. I'm not sure if has but some of the details probably make more sense now that I've been there.

Speaking of details, it took me half the book to get used to (and enjoy) the minute levels of quotidian detail. But all the seeming irrelevant observation and inconsequential dialogue work towards a very leisurely pace and give plenty of space for nuanced reflection. The narrative is presented as a reflective exercise in memory prompted by hearing the Beatles eponymous song Norwegian Wood, I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me.... There a many musical references.

I see (in Goodreads) that there are many female readers who object to his portrayal of women and for this reason object to the book. In some respects (by today's standards) they have a point, but the narrative is set in 1969, and it's entirely appropriate that such a directionless, flâneur-like, character as Watanabe speaks and thinks the way he does.

I was interested to see if there would be deus ex machina as Murakami laid the ground for it, but in the end there wasn't one. This is a gentle book about love and loss and while at first I gave it 3 stars, on closing I've given it 4 because it kept me engaged to the end. ( )
  simonpockley | Feb 25, 2024 |
Menschen wie Toru Watanabe trifft man in allen Büchern von Haruki Murakami. Es sind Singles, die in ihren Apartments sitzen und sich alte Filme anschauen, die Miles Davis hören und Scotch dazu trinken. Das Schicksal hat Spuren in ihnen hinterlassen, so wie in Toru Watanabe, der mit Naoko die einzige wirkliche Liebe seines Lebens verloren hat. Aber diese Spuren sind wie Kratzer auf einer Schallplatte. Sie kehren regelmäßig wieder und jedes Mal wieder erschrickt man - auch wenn sich bereits nicht mehr so genau erinnern kann, bei welcher Gelegenheit man die Nadel einmal zu unvorsichtig aufgesetzt hat.

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Amitrano, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chancer, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elbrich FennemaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nolla, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porta, LourdesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Many Fêtes
I was 37 then, strapped in my seat as the huge 747 plunged through dense cloud cover on approach to Hamburg airport.
Eu tinha trinta e sete anos e viajava, de cinto posto, no meu lugar enquanto o enorme 747 mergulhava através de uma densa cobertura de nuvens a aproximar-se do aeroporto de Hamburgo.

Current Discussions

Murakami anyone? in Book talk

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,806,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible