One Hundred Years of Solitude (Modern…

One Hundred Years of Solitude (Modern Classics) (original 1967; edition 2006)

by Gabriel García Márquez (Author), Gregory Rabassa (Translator)

38,70858234 (4.18)1 / 869
The rise and fall, birth and death, of the mythical town of Macondo through the history of the Buendia family.
Member:august8914
Title:One Hundred Years of Solitude (Modern Classics)
Authors:Gabriel García Márquez (Author)
Other authors:Gregory Rabassa (Translator)
Info:Harper Perennial Modern Classics (2006), Edition: Reprint, 417 pages

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez (1967)

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (chrisharpe, roby72, krizia_lazaro, browner56)
    browner56: Superb multi-generational sagas of two South American families, told in the magical realism style
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Mouseear)
    The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa (mcenroeucsb)
    Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie (Nickelini)
    The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies (Gail.C.Bull)
    Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (Aturuxo)
    The Famished Road by Ben Okri (Medellia)
    The Adventures and Misadventures of Maqroll by Alvaro Mutis (chrisharpe)
    Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo (hippietrail)
    Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter by Mario Vargas Llosa (SilentInAWay)
    Purgatory by Tomás Eloy Martínez (philosojerk)
    philosojerk: I found Martinez's style in Purgatory very reminiscent of Marquez's in One Hundred Years. If you enjoyed one of them, you would probably enjoy the other.
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (caflores)
    Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands by Jorge Amado (hubertguillaud)
    La saga/fuga de J. B. by Gonzalo Torrente Ballester (Aturuxo)
    The Devil to Pay in the Backlands by João Guimarães Rosa (roby72)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (derelicious)
    Lovesick by Angeles Mastretta (chrisharpe)
    The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea (ajgreep)
    The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts by Louis De Bernières (ShaneTierney)
    Little, Big by John Crowley (britchey)
    britchey: By interweaving magic and the real, both stories tell a multi-generational family epic about birth, death, and destiny.

hopes (4)
Read (7)

English (475)  Spanish (65)  Italian (10)  Dutch (8)  French (6)  Catalan (5)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  German (2)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (2)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (580)
I've had this book on my book shelves for as long as I can remember as its one of those book that always pops up in conversations about the best books. I have to confess, anything that is considered as literature and more than 300 pages tends to scare me a bit but slowly I am getting over this. Just before I went on a short break to Barcelona I decided I needed something new to read, and instead of taking my Kindle I opted for a tree book, and this found its way into my hands.

I don't really know where to start with the book as my head is still swimming a bit after finishing it. It is crammed full of magic realism and the story switches a lot between fantasy and reality. I found the book fairly enjoyable but I needed quiet to read it, I certainly couldn't concentrate enough to read it in noisy environments. It helped a lot that I read the majority of it while I was on holiday as I found it a little heavy going in places.

Even though I have marked it as 3/5 it lies between 3 and 4 for me. I found that fact that the same names as used for many characters across the generations hard to follow at times and I had to keep checked back to the family tree at the front of the book. ( )
  Brian. | Jul 24, 2021 |
As thousands have felt before me, this book is a tremendous act of the imagination. The author constructs a mythical, fantastical counterpart to his own native country and even writes himself into the closing pages. His creativity seems inexhaustible; it extends to the individual sentences: Paradox abounds, and beyond that, exaggerations and nonsequiturs. A deeply rewarding book to read. ( )
  HenrySt123 | Jul 19, 2021 |
One Hundred Years of Solitude (Oprah's Book Club) by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (2004)
  arosoff | Jul 10, 2021 |
senseless
  AAAO | May 22, 2021 |
Good weird ( )
  farrhon | May 13, 2021 |

García Márquez, Gabrielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Broek, C.A.G. van denTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cicogna, EnricoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for
Jomí García Ascot
and
María Luisa Elío
Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento, el coronel Aureliano Buendía había de recordar aquella tarde remota en que su padre lo llevó a conocer el hielo.
(Albanian)
Shumë vjet më vonë, përballë togës së pushkatimit, kolonel Aureliano Buendía-s do t’i kujtohej ajo pasdite e largët kur i ati e çoi të shihte akullin.
(Bulgarian)
Много години по-късно, пред взвода за разстрел, полковник Аурелиано Буендия щеше да си спомни онзи далечен подиробед, когато баща му го заведе да види леда.
(Chinese, Taiwan, Traditional script)
許多年後,當邦廸亞上校面對行刑槍隊時,他便會想起他父親帶他去找冰塊的那個遙遠的下午。
"[Y]ou'd be good in a war," she said. "Where you put your eye, you put your bullet."

Da José Arcadio ad Aureliano, dalla scoperta del ghiaccio alla decifrazione delle pergamene di Melquíades: sette generazioni di Buendía inseguono un destino ineluttabile. Con questo romanzo tumultuoso che usa i toni della favola, sorretto da un linguaggio portentoso e da una prodigiosa fantasia, Gabriel García Márquez ha saputo rifondare la realtà e, attraverso Macondo, creare un vero e proprio paradigma dell'esistenza umana. Un universo di solitudini incrociate, impenetrabili ed eterne, in cui galleggia una moltitudine di eroi. Edizione del cinquantenario (1967-2017).
(piopas)
Melquiades warns,
a message recieved late,
beware of the ants.
(leahdawn)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118499X, 014103243X, 0141045639

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,453,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible