The Education of Little Tree by Forrest…

The Education of Little Tree (original 1976; edition 1976)

by Forrest Carter

1,962423,466 (3.82)1 / 52
Member:ryner
Title:The Education of Little Tree
Authors:Forrest Carter
Info:University of New Mexico Press (2001), Paperback, 228 pages
Rating:**
Tags:2001, fiction, movie, tennessee, 1930s, native americans, cherokee

The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter (1976)

English (39)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  All (42)
received in the mail today and is a good book. I have also seen the movie to this book ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 6, 2016 |
  KimSalyers | Oct 2, 2016 |
rabck from Erishkigal; considering this book was written under a pen name by a racist Southerner who likely never set foot in Tennessee, it was quite good. Using a young boys backwoods dialect, it tells the story of Little Tree, orphaned at age 5, who goes to live with his part Indian grandparents in the hills of Tennessee. This folk wisdoms of the grandparents are quite delightful. This book will move along as a wishlist tag to another bookcrosser. ( )
  nancynova | Mar 2, 2016 |
Honestly don't even remember what this book is about, but it is one of the few books I own and share with others when they want something from my shelf. I know I liked it a lot or I would not have bought it. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
This is the story of Little Tree, a five-year-old boy who is brought up by his Cherokee grandparents after his mother dies. Although the introduction claims it's an autobiographical reminiscence, it is in fact fiction. Moreover, the author is not Cherokee; at one point he was apparently a member of extreme racist groups in the USA.

Nevertheless, it's a very well-written book. I gather that some of the details of Little Tree's life and Cherokee customs are not based on reality, but pure fiction; that would perhaps upset people from this background, but for me it was a delightful insight into a world I knew nothing about.

Moreoever, the book is very pro-Cherokee, and positive about Little Tree's experiences, educational and otherwise. White men are shown to be bigoted and legalistic, and Little Tree's brief foray into a boarding school is heart-breaking.

I can only assume that the author had repented of his former beliefs when he wrote it. Some critics consider the language offensive - it's written in a distinctive style, almost as if in five-year-old language at times. But for me, it added to the realism of the story.

All in all, I thought it a lovely book. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is an engaging story of a Cherokee boy's childhood in the 1930s. The richness of the informal education and wisdom provided by the boy's grandparents is in striking contrast to that of the white-run school the boy is subsequently forced to attend. This book was originally published as autobiographical reminiscences, but has been reclassified as fiction. Controversy surrounds this moving work. Some believe author Forrest Carter to be the late Asa Earl Carter, a white supremacist. Carter, nevertheless, could have had Cherokee heritage and still have held racist beliefs.

Part of Little Tree’s strong appeal, I suspect, is its tone of moral certainty. If Grandpa’s folksy wisdom feels a bit heavy-handed at times, it also serves as a touching reminder of a more innocent era. For young and old alike, Forrest Carter’s memoir brings alive once more, in luminously remembered detail, the shape and spirit of a world we had lost.

A Cherokee boyhood of the 1930s remembered in generous, loving detail, from the author of the very dissimilar Josey Wales novels.
added by Muscogulus | editKirkus Reviews (Oct 13, 1976)

The Education of Little Tree tells of a boy orphaned very young, who is adopted by his Cherokee grandmother and half-Cherokee grandfather in the Appalachian mountains of Tennessee during the Great Depression.

“Little Tree” as his grandparents call him is shown how to hunt and survive in the mountains, to respect nature in the Cherokee Way, taking only what is needed, leaving the rest for nature to run its course.

Little Tree also learns the often callous ways of white businessmen and tax collectors, and how Granpa, in hilarious vignettes, scares them away from his illegal attempts to enter the cash economy. Granma teaches Little Tree the joys of reading and education. But when Little Tree is taken away by whites for schooling, we learn of the cruelty meted out to Indian children in an attempt to assimilate them and of Little Tree’s perception of the Anglo world and how it differs from the Cherokee Way.

A classic of its era, and an enduring book for all ages, The Education of Little Tree has now been redesigned for this twenty-fifth anniversary edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

Little Tree is an 8-year-old Cherokee boy, who, during the time of the depression, loses his parents and goes to live with his mountain dwelling grandparents and learn the wisdom of the Cherokee way of life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,642,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible