The Mabinogion (Everyman's Library ;…

The Mabinogion (Everyman's Library ; No. 97) (edition 1957)

by Anonymous, Thomas Jones (Translator)

2,776None2,101 (3.89)62
Member:cwbol
Title:The Mabinogion (Everyman's Library ; No. 97)
Authors:Anonymous
Other authors:Thomas Jones (Translator)
Info:Dutton Adult (1957), Edition: Everyman's Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages

The Mabinogion by Anonymous

Arthurian (106) Arthurian legend (32) Britain (32) Celtic (207) Celtic mythology (61) classic (47) classics (59) epic (37) fantasy (37) fiction (174) folklore (130) folktales (31) history (51) legend (27) legends (34) literature (127) Mabinogion (48) medieval (143) medieval literature (67) myth (98) mythology (482) non-fiction (38) poetry (32) to-read (31) translation (64) unread (33) Wales (255) Welsh (225) Welsh literature (110) Welsh mythology (46)
    Mabinogion Tetralogy by Evangeline Walton (LamontCranston)
    Porius by John Cowper Powys (chrisharpe)
    The Owl Service by Alan Garner (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Book of Dede Korkut by Anonymous (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: A culturally important piece of medieval lit. consisting of mythological/historical incidents involving warriors.

English (26)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (28)
I'm giving the Mabinogion five stars because it is so much itself. These old tales are not for everyone and the language comes down to us a bit stilted, but I love the repetition and pageantry. It's dreamlike: evil giants, strange beasts, knights so powerful they kill a thousand men in a day. I love phrases like "the loudest thing anyone ever heard" and "the hoary-haired man."

It's old-fashioned. It's put-downable. And there's nothing else like it.

Petrea Burchard
Camelot & Vine ( )
1 vote PetreaBurchard | Feb 9, 2014 |
The first four stories are really excellent, weird old stuff from pre-christian Wales that move quickly and are consistently entertaining and surprising. I found the Arthurian stories a little less interesting, though not terrible by any stretch. The Welsh taxonomy is just fantastic, and puzzling out the correct pronunciation of character and place names (with the help of the pronunciation guide) is a great game. Wales seems to get short shrift among Celt-crazy Americans, and it seems a bit unfair after reading this.

Also recommended if you enjoyed Lloyd Alexander in your youth, as he clearly drew heavily from this and similar sources. ( )
4 vote Brendan.H | Jul 21, 2013 |
(Sixth book/seventh text in the readathon.)

It's been a long time since I read this in its entirety, if I ever did. I picked it up since I seemed to be on a role with Arthurian stuff, and was surprised to find how many of the stories do have some Arthurian aspect. I was under the impression it was only one or two.

I like the Joneses translation, although the 'thou'ing gets a little irritating and hard to read at times -- perhaps mostly once it's 8am and you haven't slept that night.

Interesting that the three prose romances at the end are pretty much copies of Chrétien de Troyes' romances. Obviously, they're rather later than 'Culhwch and Olwen'.

I was always fond of 'The Dream of Macsen Wledig', for some reason, but now I am probably most fond of 'Culhwch and Olwen'. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Supervisor wanted me to use a different translation to my old one (the Everyman 1993 edition). So I had to get this one. It's supposed to be more accurate -- I don't know about that, but it does seem a bit more immediate and colourful than the old Everyman edition. The little I know suggests it is a good translation, and it's certainly readable, and has a full complement of explanatory notes, introduction, etc, which is more than I can say for the Everyman edition. Slightly odd order of tales, not sure what she's organising them by -- certainly not date, as Culhwch and Olwen is almost the last.

As for the tales, they are always a thing of unchanging delight, for me. Especially nice to reread them after reading Seren's New Stories from the Mabinogion series. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
This Voyager (Harper Collins) 2002 edition has the lovely 19th century translation by Lady Charlotte Guest, and absolutely gorgeous illustrations by Alan Lee.
see http://www.sfsite.com/08b/mab134.htm ( )
  Georges_T._Dodds | Mar 30, 2013 |

Guest, Lady CharlotteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, AlanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Loth, JosephTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brothers transformed into animals of both sexes who bring forth children; dead men thrown into a cauldron who rise the next day; a woman created out of flowers, transformed into an owl for infidelity; a king turned into a wild boar for his sins - these are just some of the magical stories that together make up the Mabinogi.
INTRODUCTION (to the Jones/Jones translation)
-----------------------------
The eleven prose tales upon which the title 'Mabinogion' has been at once happily and arbitrarily bestowed are among the finest flowerings of the Celtic genius and, taken together, a masterpiece of our medieval European literature.
Please do note combine  incomplete works, such as The Mabinogion (Phoenix 60p paperbacks), which contains only two tales.

There are two "Alan Lee" Mabinogions.
The original, which used the Everyman text, translated by Gwyn Jones and Thomas Jones, was published by Dragon's Dream.
The second, which used Lady Charlotte Guest's translation, was published by Voyager/HarperCollins. See also LT entry for the Mabinogion by Lady Charlotte Guest.
Based on mss. known as The White Book of Rhydderch (ca. 1350) and The Red Book of Hergest (ca. 1382 - 1410)

Drawing on myth, folklore and history, the stories of the "Mabinogion" passed from generations of storytellers before they were written down in the thirteenth century in the form we know. Set in dual realms of the forests and valleys of Wales and the shadowy otherworld, the tales are permeated by a dreamlike atmosphere. In "Math Son of Mathonwy" two brothers plot to carry off the virginal Goewin, while in "Manawydan Son of Llyr" a chieftain roams throughout Britain after a spell is cast over his land. And King Arthur's court provides the backdrop to tales such as "How Culhwch Won Olwen", in which a young man must complete many tasks before he can marry a giant's daughter.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:29 -0400)

The 11 tales of the 'Mabinogion' combine Celtic mythology and Arthurian romance. This new translation recreates the storytelling world of medieval Wales and re-invests the tales with the power of performance.

4 free

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible