dismiss

Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions and Misuses…

Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions and Misuses Revealed, from Astrology to the… (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Philip C. Plait

Advance praise for Philip Plait s Bad Astronomy "Bad Astronomy is just plain good! Philip Plait clears up every misconception on astronomy and space you never knew you suffered from." --Stephen Maran, Author of Astronomy for Dummies and editor of The Astronomy and Astrophysics Encyclopedia "Thank the cosmos for the bundle of star stuff named Philip Plait, who is the world s leading consumer advocate for quality science in space and on Earth. This important contribution to science will rest firmly on my reference library shelf, ready for easy access the next time an astrologer calls." --Dr. Michael Shermer, Publisher of Skeptic magazine, monthly columnist for Scientific American, and author of The Borderlands of Science "Philip Plait has given us a readable, erudite, informative, useful, and entertaining book. Bad Astronomy is Good Science. Very good science..." --James "The Amazing" Randi, President, James Randi Educational Foundation, and author of An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural "Bad Astronomy is a fun read. Plait is wonderfully witty and educational as he debunks the myths, legends, and 'conspiracies that abound in our society. 'The Truth Is Out There' and it's in this book. I loved it!" --Mike Mullane, Space Shuttle astronaut and author of Do Your Ears Pop in Space?… (more)
Member:j_aroche
Title:Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions and Misuses Revealed, from Astrology to the Moon Landing "Hoax"
Authors:Philip C. Plait
Info:Wiley (2002), Edition: 1, Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:science, physics, space, space travel, space exploration, non-fiction

Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions and Misuses Revealed, from Astrology to the Moon Landing "Hoax" by Philip Plait (2002)

Este libro es directamente fantástico. Es como Malaciencia, pero aplicado únicamente a la astronomía, al Espacio y a alguna cosa más. El autor es humilde y a la vez mordaz, y no deja títere con cabeza cuando se pone a analizar uno por uno bastantes mitos sobre la ciencia. El estilo es simple, claro y conciso. Me encanta. Un breve resumen de los temas que trata seguro que les hace la boca agua:

- Huevos que se sostienen solos durante el equinoccio
- El efecto Coriolis y hacia dónde gira el agua en los lavabos
- MalaCiencia en el lenguaje cotidiano
- Por qué el cielo es azul
- Por qué hay estaciones (no es por la distancia al Sol, auqnue ésta influye un poquito en las temperaturas diferentes entre hemisferios)
- Las fases de la luna
- Las mareas
- Por qué la luna parece más grande cuando está cerca del horizonte
- Por qué las estrellas titilan
- Los colores de las estrellas
- Por qué las estrellas no se ven de día
- La estrella Polar no es la más brillante
- ¡No mires al sol durante un eclipse!
- Meteoritos, meteoros y meteoroides
- El origen del Universo
- Sí llegamos a la Luna
- Las paranoias de Velikovsky
- Creacionismo y astronomía
- Ovnis
- Marte está en la séptima casa pero Venus se ha largado del edificio. Por qué la astrología no funciona.
- Creencias sobre el telescopio Hubble
- Sobre las empresas que bautizan estrellas a cambio de un módico precio
- Los diez peores ejemplos de MalaCiencia en el cine

Todos y cada uno de los capítulos son estupendos. Éste es un libro que penso regalar a mucha gente. Imprescindible. ( )
  Remocpi | Apr 22, 2020 |
Mildly interesting content - I'm already familiar with a good bit of it, from Phil Plait's blog and other sources. It got a bit much after a while - debunking, unfortunately, is usually less interesting than the stories it's trying to correct. There were some good bits - details about tides, for instance, or the Hubble telescope. Part of the problem was that I was reading the ebook, and the formatting job was horrible - large chunks missing at the beginning of (almost?) every chapter, drop caps overlapping text, scannos throughout ("Ali! I thought..." It's supposed to be "Ah! I thought..."). I'm going to get the paper copy and check to see what I missed. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jan 8, 2020 |
I will get back to this. After NaNoWriMo. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
I've been reading a lot on astronomy and physics and the first few chapters of this book blew me away with all kinds of things that I didn't know of or misunderstood. The explanation on tidal force is excellent. I haven't always been intrigued by it and did various searches but never understood it thoroughly. The book explains it clearly, in details and goes beyond just the tidal force between the Moon and the Earth. It's a fun book to read too. ( )
  chrysedonia | Apr 26, 2018 |
I enjoyed reading Bad Astronomy. Explanations of astronomical misconceptions were easy and absolutely comprehensive. Plait's writing is light and clear. He has a good sense of humor. But this book is for dummies rather than for smart guys. To be more correct. If you like Astronomy and somehow you know very little about it, this book is brilliant for you. But even if you think you know about such small matters why the sky is blue, why the seasons change, why the star Polaris is important. Maybe you'll find some details you didn't understand before, or details you knew was wrong. I learned some of the details from this book especially about tides. So the book is not for only dummies. :) Imperfection of this book is a lack of profound explanations. I wish that there would be more details about the lunar hoax, about creationist debunking. Although the book is good especially for students and for those who just discovered astronomy.
  Misha.Kaulashvili | Aug 22, 2016 |
I love bad science fiction shows.

Advance praise for Philip Plait s Bad Astronomy

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,600,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible