Anything But a Grabooberry by Anushka…

Anything But a Grabooberry

by Anushka Ravishankar

1221,069,072 (4)None

My word and design freak boy loved it . . . Read on the 5 min drive home from the library and then to me the second we waked in the door. I swear, I'd marry Tara Books if publishing house -human unions were legal. ( )
1 vote beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |
I've been reading all of Anushka Ravishankar's picturebooks recently, and I found this one different than the others.

My favorites of her stories are those illustrated by Pulak Biswas, which involve strong rhymes, cheerful humor, and interactive sounds and questioning. However, this nonsense book is a celebration of graphic art as expressed in words - big words, little words, and clever shapes, a kind of book-length concrete poem, although the shaped words only sometimes form pictures.

Younger children will giggle over the silly rhymes "I want to be a beehive/hanging on a tree/or a bee or a pea/or a cup of tea. Older children who can recognize words will be fascinating by the shapes they create.

Verdict: An additional purchase if you like wordplay or have patrons who enjoy it

ISBN: 978-8186211434; Published September 2004 by Tara; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Oct 25, 2011 |

"Letters and words take the form of images, so that the text falls into place like a visual puzzle."--Back cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,988,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible