Content: Selected Essays on Technology,…

Content: Selected Essays on Technology, Creativity, Copyright, and the… (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Cory Doctorow

236None48,580 (3.97)3
Member:timspalding
Title:Content: Selected Essays on Technology, Creativity, Copyright, and the Future of the Future
Authors:Cory Doctorow
Info:Tachyon Publications (2008), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:BEA2008, technology, copyright, essays

Content: Selected Essays on Technology, Creativity, Copyright, and the Future of the Future by Cory Doctorow (2008)

English (8)  Romanian (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (10)
The essays in Content are completely unsurprising, if you know anything about Cory Doctorow. He's anti-DRM and pro-freedom of information; he offers his books free online (including this one) and profits by it, and suggests that everyone can follow his example. I don't actually think he's completely right about that, but his ideas are compelling.

The essays get somewhat repetitive, and were for me a bit bogged down in referring to American laws and the history of the film/tech industry in the US, since I know little about it and had to work hard to follow. Still, aside from that, his writing is very easy to follow, and I find his ideas fairly convincing -- if even my mother can get round DRM, it's a waste of time right there, without getting into any complex issues. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Would have given four stars, but as the book is made up previously published essays it gets a bit repetitive. Could have been edited down to two or three long essays. That being said, I think the info he's giving is essential. I recommend this book to anyone who doesn't understand why most of the library's audiobooks can't be played on an ipod. Of course, some might reach different conclusions than Doctorow, but as a librarian, I'm for open gardens. I have a professional obligation to make information easier to exchange. All of Doctorow's books are downloadable for free at his website: craphound.com. You can also find most of his work at the library. Or buy'em.[later:] after posting this review I realize you actually download with book right from Goodreads! ( )
  librarianbryan | Apr 20, 2012 |
A must-read for anyone interested in what copyright and patent laws are doing to creative works ( )
1 vote RicDay | Mar 6, 2009 |
A very readable introduction to the issues mentioned in the title, although because it's cobbled together from various essays, talks, and so on it tends to be a little repetitive. ( )
1 vote scroeser | Feb 6, 2009 |
The first book I read this year is the first e-book I have ever read.

Cory Doctorow is a sci-fi author, electronic rights activist, uber-geek and co-founder of the excellent blog BoingBoing. His new publication Content is well-summarized by its subtitle: Selected Essays on Technology, Creativity, Copyright, and the Future of the Future. (Nothing big.)

Doctorow holds many opinions that may seem shocking at first but are revealed to be quite reasonable once he explains the reasoning behind them. First of all, he thinks that by giving away electronic copies of his books online, he can sell more physical copies at the bookstore. (Sales figures appear to back him up.) He asserts that artists like himself should worry less about piracy and more about censorship, since the only way governments can even pretend to fight illegal downloading is by turning into Big Brother. He points out that trying to impose 19th- (or even 20th-) century copyright law to 21st century technology is foolhardy. Et cetera. Plus, he talks to a guy who seriously believes that soon we'll be able to upload our brains to computers.

Content is just a gallimaufry of Doctorow's occasional journalism, but as gallimaufries go, it's very diverting and thought-provoking. Those new to Doctorow are still encouraged to begin with Little Brother, where he dramatizes many of the concerns mentioned here and tell a ripping good yarn as well. Doctorow's impatience with dull art endears him to me: "As artists, it would be a hell of a lot easier if our audiences were more tolerant of our penchant for boring them."
  subbobmail | Jan 11, 2009 |

Cory Doctorowprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barlow, John PerryForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For the founders of the Electronic Frontier Foundation: John Perry Barlow, Mitch Kapor and John Gilmore

For the staff - past and present - of the Electronic Frontier Foundation

For the supporters of the Electronic Frontier Foundation
Greetings fellow pirates! Arrrrr!
Otto von Bismarck: "Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made."

Bruce Schneier has said, "Making bits harder to copy is like making water that's less wet."

Schneier's Law: "any person can invent a security system so clever that she or he can't think of how to break it."

2 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible