Content: Selected Essays on Technology,…

Content: Selected Essays on Technology, Creativity, Copyright, and the… (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Cory Doctorow

Title:Content: Selected Essays on Technology, Creativity, Copyright, and the Future of the Future
Authors:Cory Doctorow
Info:Tachyon Publications (2008), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:BEA2008, technology, copyright, essays

Content: Selected Essays on Technology, Creativity, Copyright, and the Future of the Future by Cory Doctorow (2008)

English (12)  Romanian (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (14)
More essays and writings found at craphound . com ( )
  troyka | May 5, 2016 |
Series of essays examining our digital life, including copyright and intellectual property. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
Mr. Doctorow is on the forefront of one of the most important battles of our generation. The fact that most people have no knowledge/interest in this fight is the most powerful weapon in the hands of the opponent. This is a complex debate- and Mr. Doctorow is an important voice for individual’s information rights. This book is collection of articles has published over the years on topics from DRM, copyright, protection of artists’ rights, ebooks, fair use, and the economics of open source content. While in some of his arguments- I think he pushes the envelope a bit too far, Doctorow nevertheless provides a succinct, knowledgeable examination of these topics. I think we all owe him a debt of gratitude for being our watchdog against the corporate behemoths. ( )
  Alidawn | Jan 29, 2016 |
It's scary how right Doctorow was with his thinking on much in this book. It's also interesting to read (hear) his insights into some of what are still important issues we're dealing with now, even 7 years later. A very worthwhile read. ( )
  TheMadTurtle | Nov 30, 2015 |
The essays in Content are completely unsurprising, if you know anything about Cory Doctorow. He's anti-DRM and pro-freedom of information; he offers his books free online (including this one) and profits by it, and suggests that everyone can follow his example. I don't actually think he's completely right about that, but his ideas are compelling.

The essays get somewhat repetitive, and were for me a bit bogged down in referring to American laws and the history of the film/tech industry in the US, since I know little about it and had to work hard to follow. Still, aside from that, his writing is very easy to follow, and I find his ideas fairly convincing -- if even my mother can get round DRM, it's a waste of time right there, without getting into any complex issues. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Cory Doctorowprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barlow, John PerryForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For the founders of the Electronic Frontier Foundation: John Perry Barlow, Mitch Kapor and John Gilmore

For the staff - past and present - of the Electronic Frontier Foundation

For the supporters of the Electronic Frontier Foundation
Greetings fellow pirates! Arrrrr!
Otto von Bismarck: "Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made."

Bruce Schneier has said, "Making bits harder to copy is like making water that's less wet."

Schneier's Law: "any person can invent a security system so clever that she or he can't think of how to break it."

37 wanted2 free1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,828,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible