Signal to Noise New Edition by Neil Gaiman

Signal to Noise New Edition (edition 2007)

by Neil Gaiman

Member:shmibs
Title:Signal to Noise New Edition
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:Dark Horse (2007), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 96 pages

Signal to Noise by Neil Gaiman

Well, that was really weird. I don't know. It wasn't *bad*, and it had quite a few really excellent lines about death and the purpose of life. But sometimes the words were a little blurry (the "noise"), and it made me blink and squint too much. The artwork was great, especially when it was the "signal" part. I don't think I understood all the "noise" parts. Maybe I need to get a little more art-literate to enjoy this fully, but I think I'll stick with normal print books and easier to understand graphic novels for now. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
I have no idea what I just read. I feel like there were very poignant and vital themes explored... Death. Reality. The technological world. Apocalypse. But the artwork and prose was just too confusing. I guess I am just not quite artsy enough to "get" this one.

However... This is by Neil Gaiman who I normally love. So if you tend to understand esoteric imagery coupled with staggered poetry... You will love this. I hate to say that I don't like a Gaiman, but this one I just do not understand.

Copy courtesy of Diamond Book Distributors, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Humble eBook Bundle 2 ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
This is a book I think everyone needs to read as an adult. Dealing with death and mortality it is a gloomy read but still an excellent one. Dave McKean's art really elevates the story here. I'm surprised that I hadn't read this sooner but I also have to say it is a bit of a down read. I think this one will take a while to process but in the end it will be worth it.

Digital copy provided by the publisher through NetGalley ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
"Signal to Noise" tells the story of a man at the end of his life, struggling with his illness and his artistic work as the turn of the millennium looms in the distance.

Unlike some of Gaiman and McKean's other works, "Signal to Noise" is not a straightforward comic. It's arty, abstract and full of artistic devices. It did not, unfortunately, resonate with me. ( )
  jasonli | Jan 20, 2014 |
An author struggling to write a book in 1999 finds out he has only 6 months to live unless he takes chemo and radiation treatment.

I read this on an iPad and strained my eyes to read it, even using the enlargement ability. White letters on red background is no fun for older eyes. ( )
  mamzel | Jan 20, 2014 |

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Carroll, JonathanIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neil: This one's for Emma Bull and Will Shetterly. And Fourth Street.

Dave: To Rolie Green, for giving myself, my family, and the film director your warmth and humour.
everybody should be able to understand the moment they sit down

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 057505140X, Hardcover)

The story of a film director who is dying of cancer. His greatest film would have told the story of a European village as the last hour of 999 AD approached. The villagers feel Armageddon is imminent. The director works it all out in his head, a film never to be seen. By no-one but the reader.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:48 -0400)

Graphic Novel. Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean present their masterpiece in a completely remastered and redesigned edition overflowing with bonus material! Somewhere in London, a film director is dying of cancer. His life's crowning achievement, his greatest film, would have told the story of a European village as the last hour of 999 A.D. approached - the midnight that the villagers were convinced would bring with it Armageddon. Now that story will never be told. But he's still working it out in his head, making a film that no one will ever see. No one but us. Serialized in The Face in 1989, expanded and revised into a graphic novel in 1992, and adapted for radio in 2000, Signal to Noise has never stopped evolving. The bonus material in this first-time hardcover edition captures every leg of the journey, including three related short stories unseen in nearly two decades, an additional chapter created for the CD release of the radio drama, and a new introduction by Dave McKean along with the original by Jonathan Carrol and the radio drama introduction by Neil Gaiman.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,078,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible