The Signers: The 56 Stories Behind the…

The Signers: The 56 Stories Behind the Declaration of Independence (2002)

by Dennis Brindell Fradin

Profiles each of the fifty-six men who signed the Declaration of Independence, giving historical information about the colonies they represented. Includes the text of the Declaration and its history.

Lesson 12 - The Declaration of Independence
  ccsdss | Feb 29, 2016 |
Having already read “The Founders: The 39 Stories Behind the Constitution,” I thought “The Signers: The 56 Stories Behind the Declaration of Independence” by Fradin and McCurdy would be worth a peak, as I expected it would apply the same format to a different topic. I was not disappointed. It features informative profiles of each of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, some of them household names and others not so much. Each profile is a couple of pages or so, and includes illustrations, and features information about the individual. The book ends with the text of the Declaration.

I enjoy the simplicity of the book, just as with “The Founders.” As similarly, I view this as a useful reference to have on hand in a middle school American History class. Even high school aged might find it useful to have on the shelf. However, I do not see it as a book students would read straight through. ( )
  DustinB1983 | May 6, 2012 |
Great for when teaching American Revolution and units on heroes.
  mstuhan | Jun 2, 2010 |
This is a great resource book that allows the reader to peek at all the 'signers' of the dec. of ind. Its told in an easy to follow short story format and has some pictures to follow. The book has a picture for each person, a copy of the original DOI and a readable text style copy, an afterword, bibliography, and index. I would use this book as a supplement for teaching government, discussing war topics, biographies, presidents, topical study on the Declaration, and using reference books. Although it would be a great read aloud and discussion for grades 3-5 they wouldnt understand it all and its too big to just "read" so I recommend it for grades 6-12. ( )
  awiltenburg | Nov 1, 2009 |
  corinne331 | May 26, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,920,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible