Blockade Diary by Lidiya Ginzburg

Blockade Diary

by Lidiya Ginzburg

A fictionalized account of the 900-day siege of Leningrad during World War II, describing the day-to-day business of finding something to eat while avoiding bombs and shells. The siege cost 600,000 lives.

English (2)  French (1)  All languages (3)
This is one of the most affecting books that I have ever read. Ginzburg narrates the lives of individuals struggling to survive the Leningrad Blockade in such detail and depth that the reader is truly able to feel like he or she is there. Her descriptions of family lifestyle changes, reactions to raids and bomb shelters, and the unimaginable hunger brought about by the strict government-enforced rations are both beautiful and haunting at the same time. Hunger and malnourishment are described in ways that I had never heard before: a slow wasting away where eventually, the victim reaches the point of non-hunger. Sacrifice and selflessness within families is shown in such a bright light that readers can only feel proud of those who survived the war, and even more sympathetic and, somehow even appreciative of, those who were lost.

The topic and historical significance of the book itself is enough to warrant giving it a read, but Ginzburg really adds something special to it with her beautiful vocabulary usage plus her constantly present personal experiences and observations. I would recommend it to anyone interested in the time period, learning more about the untold side of World War II, or those looking for a poignant memoir. It is not a story for the extremely faint of heart, but I think that everyone would gain something from reading. ( )
1 vote kiwikowalski | Jul 28, 2009 |
This is a very impressive book; the Dutch edition has only 92 pages, but the description of her experience during the siege of Leningrad, World Word II, is unforgettable. I have never read such a vivid description of feeling hungry before. I am very grateful to the friend who offered me this book and will always cherish it. ( )
  brusselsbook | Aug 21, 2008 |

Lidiya Ginzburgprimary authorall editionscalculated
Körner, ChristianeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlögel, KarlAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,200,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible