Talking to Dragons: The Enchanted Forest…

Talking to Dragons: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Book Four (4) (original 1985; edition 2015)

by Patricia C. Wrede (Author)

2,806403,830 (4.05)1 / 90
Queen Cimorene sends her sixteen-year-old son Daystar into the Enchanted Forest with the only weapon that can combat an evil wizard's magic in an effort to restore the balance of power in the kingdom.
Member:danipark
Title:Talking to Dragons: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Book Four (4)
Authors:Patricia C. Wrede (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2015), Edition: Reprint, 304 pages

Talking to Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (1985)

The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle by Deva Fagan (dylanesque)
    dylanesque: Talking to Dragons and the Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle share an irreverent, light-hearted tone, a magical coming-of-age quest, unlikely friends, and a rich magical world.
    Ordinary Magic by Caitlen Rubino-Bradway (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Similar style and humour, as well as pushing against the stereotypes and rigid expectations that society believes people fall into just because of what they are.

English (39)  German (1)  All languages (40)
Queen Cimorene's son has a magic sword, but what is he suppose to do with it?
  BLTSbraille | Oct 7, 2021 |
Talking to Dragons is the fourth and final book in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede. The story goes back to its fractured fairy tale roots and is told entirely from the first person point of view of Daystar, Cimorene's son.

His mother always taught him to be polite to dragons. It's particularly good advice when one day his mother hands Daystar a magic sword and sends him into the forest on a quest with no further instructions than to seek out Kazul, someone who can presumably explain everything. At least Daystar hopes so.

According to a forward by the author, this story was written first in the quadrilogy several years before Wrede was persuaded to turn it into a series. I can see exactly what inspired the first chronological book and I devoured this title in 24 hours. While I still enjoy Cimorene's story best, this installment brought back all the things I loved about Dealing With Dragons and made for an enjoyable read.

Daystar is such a nice, polite and fairly clueless young man. He has a strong determination to do the right thing, even if he's not quite sure what that is. Daystar is joined on his quest by Shiara, a young fire witch who doesn't know how to use her magic, and a dragon who is trying to prove itself to the clan. It was a lot of fun hanging out with these youngsters and re-discovering the magic of the forest all over again from a fresh perspective. While the plot is not overly complicated, I kept cheering for our heroes and was delighted in meeting old characters again.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time reading the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. I know I'll be revisiting these books again in the future. ( )
  Narilka | Sep 4, 2021 |
The time loop was not explored, not even a little. =( ( )
  dandelionroots | Aug 24, 2021 |
Written first and published last, Talking to Dragons seemed a little flat to me. Author Patricia Wrede developed stronger stories and characters in the later written, but earlier published books, especially Cimorene. In this fourth and last book in the series, it is her son (Daystar) who is the protagonist. He is 17? years old, when Cimorene melts a wizard who showed up at their cottage. Much to his surprise, Cimorene gives Daystar a magical sword and sends him off into the Enchanted Forest on a quest, without instruction, other than the way he was raised: to always be polite (especially to dragons.) Daystar is warm and engaging, quickly making friends (a fire witch, a forest animal, Morwen, Telemain, etc.) and slowly becomes ensconced in a battle for his sword , the significance of which is unknown to him until the happy ending when all is revealed. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
From the author: "Yes, the publication dates are correct. Talking to Dragons was published in 1985 by MagicQuest; the other three books are prequels.

Talking to Dragons is told from the viewpoint of Daystar, Cimorene’s son, as he sets off on his own adventures and tries to piece together the past his mother hasn’t told him about."

https://pcwrede.com/books/enchanted-forest/ ( )

Puda, JeffCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For NATE (who started it),
and for the rest of the Scribblies:

STEVE, PAM, KARA,
WILL, and EMMA.
Mother taught me to be polite to dragons.
I took a deep breath and spoke as steadily as I could:

'Sword of the Sleeping King,
I conjure thee:
By stream and starlight,
By sun and shadow,
By song and storm wind,
Show me thy tale!
(chapter 2)
We both nodded, and Kazul smiled again. 'Well, then. There are two types of magic in the world: the kind you're born with, and the kind you get from something else. Dragons' -- Kazul looked smug -- 'elves, unicorns, and fire-witches are born with magic. Ordinary witches and magicians get their magic from objects or from rituals involving things that have magic, which works quite well and doesn't upset things.

'Wizards, on the other hand, get their magic from everything around them that happens to have magic. Those staffs of theirs absorb little bits of it constantly, and the suction gets worse every time a wizard stores a new spell in his staff. That, by the way, is why dragons are allergic to wizards. Whenever those staffs get near us, they start trying to soak up some of our magic and we start sneezing.' (chapter 18)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,481,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible