Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us

by Seth Godin

According to Godin, Tribes are groups of people aligned around an idea, connected to a leader and to each other. Tribes make our world work, and always have. The new opportunity is that it's easier than ever to find, organize, and lead a tribe. The Web has enabled an explosion of all kinds of tribes--and created shortage of people to lead them. This is the growth industry of our time. Tribes (the book) will help you understand exactly what's at stake, and why you can and should lead a tribe of your own.… (more)

English (60)  Dutch (3)  All languages (63)
Kind of a parody of a business book -- all "inspiration" with no real content. ( )
  octal | Jan 1, 2021 |
This was right up my alley. It felt like it talked about a lot of things I post about on my web site. ( )
  pedstrom | Dec 22, 2020 |
I don't understand what the big deal is with Seth Godin. I follow his blog and he rarely says anything that I find terribly insightful. Maybe it's the difference in our backgrounds - he comes from a management background and I come from theatre and the arts - but most of what he says is stuff that's pretty obvious to me. And he tends to try and make comparisons between things that are frequently incorrect. For example, in one recent blog post, he compared a Bentley to a Toyota and stated that the Toyota is clearly better made. No, it's not. That statement is completely wrong. Bentleys are among the best-built cars in the world (you're not just paying for exorbitant luxury, you're paying for top-of-the-line, state-of-the-art engineering) and will last longer than any Toyota could ever hope to!

Such incorrect, poorly informed statements are common enough from Mr. Godin that I've come to expect them more often than not.

More often than not, I find his pronouncements irritatingly condescending.

Bottom line - he's not as insightful as everyone tells him he is, and he doesn't know nearly as much about things outside his specific area of expertise as he thinks he does.

This is a very good book - but I can't get past my personal problems with the author when I read it. ( )
  johnthelibrarian | Aug 11, 2020 |
Sorry, Seth. I expected a lot more. The premise is fine and interesting. The delivery - not so much. Godin knows how to talk a lot and not say much, that's for sure. He does not say anything knew, either, especially not groundbreaking, and keeps repeating the same stuff that could've fit in 2 paragraphs. ( )
  ZeljanaMaricFerli | Feb 20, 2020 |
This book is a rallying call for people to become leaders. There's a couple of catchy leadership soundbites, but the book is mainly superficial. ( )
  yamiyoghurt | Jan 29, 2018 |

IN

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,373,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible