Competent to counsel : introduction to…

Competent to counsel : introduction to nouthetic counseling (edition 1986)

by Jay Edward Adams

1,34555,736 (3.87)None
Member:cornerlibrary_01
Title:Competent to counsel : introduction to nouthetic counseling
Authors:Jay Edward Adams
Info:Grand Rapids, MI: Ministry Resources Library, [1986], c1970. xxii, 287 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Tags:Counseling Resource

Competent to Counsel by Jay E. Adams

Paperback
  pastorroy | Aug 13, 2013 |
I love that Jay Adams insists on taking a Biblical View on life matters. He realizes that in all circumstances, the Word of God is our standard and tool for life. In this book, and in his series on counseling, Jay Adams walks through providing hope and direction to our brothers and sisters in Christ. This book greatly altered my way of helping others and forced me to examine my own actions and behavior in life. In particular, the perspective on Love being a commandment of God hits home. ( )
  timmillr | Dec 27, 2011 |
This book was required reading in a class on biblical counseling through Master's International School of Divinity. Although I was remotely familar with Jay Adams' work, I found this book to be an excellent resourse for pastors involved in nouthetic counseling.
  professormark | Dec 5, 2011 |
It must be stated outright that Jay Adams roots his counseling in Scripture. His biblical presuppositions shape the way he interacts with counselees. With this being said, many will probably dismiss his approach, which is fine; however, if you are a Christian remotely interested in counseling, then this book is a must. Even if you disagree with his approach, it is helpful in understanding the human bound by sin and a fallen world. ( )
  erikssonfamily | Dec 1, 2011 |
Excellent, Biblically reasoned presentation of why a minister knowledgeable in God's word is the best source for counseling. From his background in both theology and psychology Adams is quite "competent" to make his claim! ( )
  ittai | Dec 3, 2009 |

A Classic in the Field of Christian Counseling Competent to Counsel has helped thousands of pastors, students, laypersons, and Christian counselors develop both a general approach to Christian counseling and a specific response to particular problems. Using biblically directed discussion, nouthetic counseling works by means of the Holy Spirit to bring about change in the personality and behavior of the counselee. As Dr. Jay Adams points out in his introduction, 'I have been engrossed in the project of developing biblical counseling and have uncovered what I consider to be a number of important scriptural principles. . . . There have been dramatic results. . . . Not only have people's immediate problems been resolved, but there have also been solutions to all sorts of long-term problems as well.' Since its first publication in 1970, this book has gone through over thirty printings. It establishes the basis for and an introduction to a counseling approach that is being used in pastors' studies, in counseling centers, and across dining room tables throughout the country and around the world

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:15 -0400)

Zondervan

An edition of this book was published by Zondervan.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,585,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible