Atlas of Middle-earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad

Atlas of Middle-earth (original 1981; edition 2001)

by Karen Wynn Fonstad (Author)

For lovers of The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and the Silmarillion, a noted cartographer has created a companion guide to the geography of Middle-earth from its founding in the Elder Days through the Third Age, including the journeys of Bilbo, Frodo and the Fellowship.
Member:JamesT1
Title:Atlas of Middle-earth
Authors:Karen Wynn Fonstad (Author)
Info:Houghton Mifflin Company (2001), Edition: Revised, 210 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

The Atlas of Middle-earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad (1981)

English (19)  German (2)  All languages (21)
During my recent re-read https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4176682875 of “The Hobbit” I remembered that years ago I had bought this “atlas” in order to immerse myself even more fully into Tolkien’s world and to provide my children with maps to the adventures I was reading to them at the time.

In this atlas, you’ll find brilliant maps in two colours that are in all aspects very fitting to their source material. You’ll find the maps sorted by ages as well as regional maps, e. G. The Shire, as well as maps relating to the books and, last but not least, thematic maps, e. G. landforms, climate, vegetation and population.

It shows that the author is an actual cartographer because Fonstad’s maps feel real - like they were made by observance and not by obviously extensive research.

“The Atlas of Middle-Earth” is an amazing feat and every Tolkien enthusiast should own a copy!

Five out of five stars.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram ( )
  philantrop | Aug 24, 2021 |
If you are a Tolkien fan, then more than any other single book, this one should be by your side when reading The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

This book has maps, atlases, and crossectional views of every area and every significant building or structure mentioned in the 3 books set in Middle-Earth. Along with each map is a complete analysis of the events which occurred in those locations. It also contains information on populations, languages, types and locations of vegetation, and more. So much more.

This is the books which will help you in your attempt to keep everything connected. It will help you mentally picture the events. The book is extremely well researched using all of the resources made available by the Tolkien estate. There are dozens of books which many lovers of The Lord of the Rings can buy, including the many volumed History of Middle-Earth series and The Complete Tolkien Companion, but this book is far more essential than any of the others, and draws from all of them. The maps are produced by the author based on Tolkien's sketches as well as the information contained in all of his books and writings.

Be sure to only get the Revised Edition with a 1991 copyright. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
823.91
  OakGrove-KFA | Mar 28, 2020 |
Maps of fantasy books are love. ( )
  Ayanami_Faerudo | Mar 29, 2017 |
The book feels cartoonish, written for an audience with no more than highly superficial knowledge and a generally television-ish appetites. But I should have seen that coming; Tolkien's is not a particularly strongly cartographic world, although it certainly beats the chivalric romances (which didn't even have maps). ( )
  ex_ottoyuhr | May 8, 2014 |
The hundreds of maps and diagrams Fonstad has created or expanded upon make it much easier to enjoy the narrative in Tolkien's older lays and legends. They make it less of a struggle to keep the geography straight in your head and are a godsend to those of us who have a hard time following the action in battle scenes.
added by Shortride | editSalon, Laura Miller (Dec 19, 2002)

Fonstad, Karen Wynnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tolkien, J.R.R.Creatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schütz, Hans J.Übersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To

Todd, Mark, and Kristi

— (still pieless) —

who have shared ten years of trials and triumphs from Middle-earth, and to Kit Keefe, my cheery and courageous friend who first lent me The Lord of the Rings
Like Bilbo, I have always loved maps.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,619,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible