Borges: Selected Poems by Jorge Luis Borges

Borges: Selected Poems (edition 2000)

by Jorge Luis Borges (Author)

Member:chart123
Title:Borges: Selected Poems
Authors:Jorge Luis Borges (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2000), Edition: Reprint, 496 pages

Selected Poems by Jorge Luis Borges

God has created nights well-populated
with dreams, crowded with mirror images,
so that man may feel that he is nothing more
than vain reflection. That's what frightens us.

Was it Dr. Johnson who marveled over Montaigne, how could he know what I had been thinking? It doesn't matter, it could have been Walter Benjamin pondering Spinoza on both of those frontiers. History is mute, amused sufficiently with bumps and reversals. Plagues and witch hunts pass the time. It could also have been Boris Johnson, weighing what he had assisted, not worrying about Whitman or Chekhov. Not really worrying at all. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
I am so glad that the first book of 2016 I read is a poetry collection by Borges. I have long admired him for his lyrical language and although it is his translated works, I feel awed by his imagination. He writes poems dedicated to Robert Browning, Walt Whitman, Herman Melville, about his love for the sea, nature and seasons, sunsets, about streets with stores, Don Quixote, happiness, on death, dreams and to his father. His words have singularly influenced my horizon of understanding and appreciating poetry.

I am also able to read a bit of spanish so the bilingual edition feel like such a treasure to behold. I read these poems on the train while returning home late last night so, the calm of the night and the breeze made their way through my heart. His words seemed to float in the air I breathed. I kept reading throughout the night and only kept the book down at dawn. One look outside the window at that hour looked like a page out of the poetry book. It felt magical and so surreal. I felt like I was in a haze of poetry all around me. How wonderful it made me to be surrounded by emotions as lively as Borges expresses through his poetry. After acquainting myself with Borges words, I have stumbled upon a new world of lyrical majesty and would prance in its eternity as long as words stay afloat. A beautiful copy to own for life. ( )
  Sharayu_Gangurde | Jan 19, 2017 |
Borges is my favorite writer. His understanding of the world is breath-takingly large, and he is able to give complex ideas visceral, emotional weight. The feel of his poetry and stories is the feeling you have when you wake up from a disturbing, exhilerating dream. He was a librarian in Argentina for most of his life. Although he became blind in later life, he was able to recite passages from his favorite books from memory, even identifying the page numbers from which he recited. Amazing man. ( )
1 vote D_Eligh | Aug 8, 2008 |
"and sometimes a guitar chord can do you in" yes...yes it can. ( )
  sadiebooks | Jul 21, 2007 |

Borges, Jorge Luisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Coleman, AlexanderEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,144,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible