The Cat Who Said Cheese by Lilian Jackson…

The Cat Who Said Cheese (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Lilian Jackson Braun (Author)

Series: The Cat Who... (18)

Jim Qwilleran and his cats investigate a hotel bombing that killed a housekeeper and the disappearance of a mysterious woman after the blast.
Member:Themis-Athena
Title:The Cat Who Said Cheese
Authors:Lilian Jackson Braun (Author)
Info:Headline Book Pub Ltd (1996), 288 p.
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:***1/2
Tags:American Mysteries and Crime Fiction, Animals, Cats, Mysteries and Crime Fiction, Women Writers

Work Information

The Cat Who Said Cheese by Lilian Jackson Braun (1996)

English (7)  Italian (1)  All languages (8)
I really like this series...it's fun. ( )
  Wren73 | Mar 4, 2022 |
This is the 18th of 29 in the Cat Who mystery series. The small town of Pickax is trying to generate interest in local businesses by holding The Great Food Explo. There will be a new restaurant opening, a cheese tasting, a bake off and as so often happens in the small town of Pickax, a murder! Former big city newspaper reporter Jim Qwilleran investigates, but it's his Siamese, Koko, who has all the answers. Not that anyone listens. A quick fun book from a series that began in 1986 and is still popular. ( )
  clue | Feb 27, 2022 |
I remember reading this series described as light-hearted and as I finished another novel in the series I would heartily agree that as I read about James Qwilleran (Mr. Q and Qwill to his friends), his extraordinary Siamese cats Koko and Yum-Yum, and all of their acquaintances and friends my heart becomes light. Definitions of light-hearted are "amusing and entertaining" and "of a person or their behavior cheerful and carefree." Without a doubt, Qwill is always cheerful and carefree and the cats amusing and entertaining.

One of the delights of this series is that I never know what new names were created for people, animals, locations, and things alike. There are of course favorites from previous novels like Wetherby Goode, Sip 'n' Nibble Shop, Ittibittiwassee Road, Mudville, Whannell MacWhannell of the MacWhannell & Shaw accountant office, and the Klingenschoen Foundation but there is always a new array of interesting names. To name just a few "The Cat Who Said Cheese" introduces us to Onoosh Dolmathakia, The Spoonery, and goats March, April, May, June, and Holiday.

I also learned some marvelous new things about different kinds of cheese and their country of origin. I hope I can remember some of the different cheese characteristics when I visit one of my favorite grocery stores in a nearby town that offers a wide selection of cheeses so that I can purchase some new choices for my husband and I to enjoy. This novel also reminded me of a wonderful fine dining restaurant called "Glockenspiel" that was within a short drive to the college I attended. After each meal a large Lazy Susan was placed in the center of the table that was filled with different kinds of cheese and fresh fruit in season. Everyone was invited to 'graze' and enjoy further visitations or celebrations. In the winter it was fun to arrive earlier than your reservation as then you could enjoy a warm cup of cider in front of the fireplace. I can easily imagine Qwill, Polly, and the Rikers enjoying dinner there together and Qwill taking some cheese samples home for Koko and Yum-Yum. Polly and Hixie would definitely visit the lovely gift shop after dinner too! ( )
  FerneMysteryReader | Feb 4, 2020 |
The 18th Û_Cat Who‰Û_ finds Qwill and the cats once again residing in the converted apple barn ‰ÛÒ maybe the first time they've lived in the same place two books in a row. Polly is recovering from her heart attack at the home of Lynette, the sister of her late husband. As the last of the Duncans, Lynette inherited the family‰Ûªs gorgeous, antique-filled victorian mansion in Pickax. The lack of privacy this arrangement affords Qwill and Polly marks a turning point in their relationship as it becomes clear that although they have both vowed never to marry again, they really care for each other.

The big focus is the Food Explo being planned for the town of Pickax, involving the opening of several new eateries, a cooking competition, a bachelor/ bachelorette auction, etc. all designed to bring attention and tourism to the area.

Unfortunately, a pall is cast over the town when an explosion at the hotel kills a local girl working as a maid. When the bomb went off, she was cleaning the room of a woman who had been staying there for several weeks. No one knows who the mystery woman is - was she the target or the bomber? The girl who was killed happens to be the girlfriend of Lois Inchpot‰Ûªs son. The cranky proprietor of Lois‰Ûª Luncheonette, a popular hangout featured in most of the series, is so disheartened by this sad event as well as the new upscale competition she closes up shop, which causes much dismay in Pickax.

The Explo rolls on, despite the tragedy. As a local celebrity, Qwill gamely helps Mildred Riker with a ‰ÛÏjust for men‰Û cooking class; hosts a gala wine and cheese event at the apple barn; and agrees to be one of the bachelors auctioned off for charity ‰ÛÒit‰Ûªs not Polly, or the new vamp in town Danielle, who ‰ÛÏwins‰Û him but someone completely unexpected. He is also a judge in the big pasty competition. The pasty - rhymes with ‰ÛÏnasty‰Û - is a beloved local specialty. It is a meat and vegetable turnover that used to be taken into the mines as a hand-held lunch in the old mining days of Moose County. (Qwill‰Ûªs involvement in this competition indirectly leads to the recovery of Iris Cobb‰Ûªs famous cookbook, which was stolen after her murder back in #10‰Û_.Talked to Ghosts.)

Of course Qwill, Koko and YumYum help to solve the mystery of the explosion, but this installment of the series was back to the format I like best - the mystery is almost beside the point and the action takes place in Pickax with all the familiar characters and charming details of small-town life and customs.

Originally published: 1997

Body Count: 4 hotel maid (explosion), the florist (gunshot); the ex-husband who tried to kill Onoosh (name unknown); old man who owned the Pickax hotel (natural causes)

Preceded by: The Cat Who Blew the Whistle
Next Up: The Cat Who Tailed A Thief ( )
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
I'm not sure I ever exactly understood exactly what was going on in this book. The later Cat Who... books are in general not as good as the earlier ones. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Apr 21, 2009 |
Dedicated to
Earl Bettinger,
the husband who...
Autumn, in that year of surprises, was particularly delicious in Moose County, 400 miles north of everywhere.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,100,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible