Just Desserts (2002)

by Paula Deen

Series: The Lady and Sons (3)

A Seriously Sweet Southern Dessert Extravaganza The queen of Savannah's The Lady & Sons restaurant, Paula Deen knows how to please a hungry crowd. In The Lady & Sons Just Desserts, Paula shares the down-home recipes that made her famous, including her signature Gooey Butter Cake (with luscious variations). Peach Cobbler, Turtle Cake, Sweet Baby Carrot Cake, Lemon Curd Pudding, and Pecan Dreams.… (more)

The real sweetness found in "The Lady & Sons Just Desserts" lies not only in the delightful recipes, but also in the the family stories and the genuine love of cooking that prevails throughout the pages. The introduction written by Paula Deen is a fascinating mini-autobiography that follows Paula's early years through her young first marriage, the start of her restaurant business, her introduction to TV Land, and how she met Michael Groover, who would later become her second husband. Paula Deen's personal struggles and her desire to be a success and provide for her family will resonate with many women. The recipes range from simple sweet-tooth satisfaction to satiation for serious sugar addicts. Many of the recipes are accompanied by charming anecdotes. Do these titles sound tempting: "Brown Sugar Pound Cake"; "White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Pie"; "Paula's Loaded Oatmeal Cookies"; "Eggnog Pudding"; "Mama's Divinity"; and "Blueberry Cream Cheese Tarts"? "The Lady & Sons Just Desserts" is just peachy--Georgia peachy, that is! ( )
  gincam | Oct 15, 2011 |
As a lifelong Alabama resident, there is nothing better to me than Southern cooking. This is why I love Paula Deen's cookbooks. This one has some delicious desserts and interesting stories about the author's family to go along with the recipes. ( )
  ladybug74 | Apr 12, 2009 |
I love cookbooks. And I love Paula Deen. My grandmother was a proper southern lady and Paula Deen reminds me of her in many ways. Many of Paula's recipes are reminiscent of my grandmother's and every time I fix something from one of Paula's cookbooks I can't help but imagine my grandmother making a similar dish.

Paula's desserts are fabulous. Most are relatively easy and anyone with any cooking experience will be able to make any of the desserts in this book. There are recipes for every season and I've never gone wrong preparing one of Paula's desserts for guests. I love to bake and take goodies in to work and I never fail to get accolades galore whenever I make a dessert from this cookbook. You can't go wrong with Paula. ( )
1 vote DNWilliams | Nov 8, 2008 |
The name says it all - this one is all desserts - more than 100. Reading Paula's first person commentaries will give you the feeling she is cooking beside you as you follow the directions. ( )
  readit2 | Sep 4, 2008 |

Belongs to Series

This work is dedicated to the memory of my wonderful parents, the late Earl W. Hiers, Sr., and Corrie Paul Hiers. For without them, nothing would have been possible. This is truly sweets for the sweet.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,386,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible