The Sovereignty of God by Arthur W. Pink

The Sovereignty of God (edition 2009)

by Arthur W. Pink

Rating:*****

The Sovereignty of God by Arthur W. Pink

I have more than 1 at least 4
  mrmcquade | Apr 28, 2014 |
THE SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD - A.W. Pink: There are no adjectives left for me, from all the other reviews. I could say from my perspective, snip all the comments that are in the 5 star catagory, put them together and you'd have my review. I must say (with hesitation, as I don't want to give a wrong impression). After finishing this book, I asked myself, WHY has this man's written narrative, (of course, using Scripture), take me places that the Bible didn't in a like manner. Well I think I have my answer. Through out the Bible the Sovereignty of God and His infinite attributes are generally spread out; so as I read, the awe, comes to me is somewhat like "snipits." Pink on the other hand is centerlizing on the single topic, and all those "snipits" are concentrated; and the Awe just keeps coming. You don't get a chance to breath, gasp, yes, but one is flooded with all those spread out verses. It's all Biblical, and when you have it all thrown on top of you at once its simply beyond what my little brain can comprehend. It gives much to the Psalm (paraphrase) wherein King David asks, ["what is it that attracts you to us little worms?"]. In summary, I can close by saying the inconcievable Sovereignty of God, as presented brings our Creator so much beyond comprehension. . .while taking man and bringing him so insignificant, by comparision. To think such a gap, and He Loves us so? Answer that from a human perspective. Praise God. ( )
  camelotstud | Oct 22, 2011 |
very good
  CNWoolson | Jan 19, 2011 |
A scripture soaked book by Pink about the control of God over every thing in life is as controversial now as it was then. Most people would not have a problem with much of the book. The chapter on God's sovereignty in reprobation is the one that caused me to read slowly and think carefully, and the one chapter that most people would disagree with. Pink pulls no punches in saying God is over everything, and uses scripture after scripture to back it up. ( )
  laholmes | May 11, 2010 |
The Sovereignty of God by A.W. Pink, when first published in 1918 was a very controversial book as it still is today. The reason for this is probably due to the fact that in Pink's day the doctrine of God's sovereignty was almost completely ignored, misunderstood or rejected. Why read a book on the doctrine of God's sovereignty? The author believed that this doctrine is the second most important doctrine taught in the Bible, the first being the Divine Inspiration of the Bible, which is the title of Mr.Pink's first book that was published.

Pink (1886-1952) was a Christian evangelist and Biblical scholar known for his staunchly Calvinist and Puritan-like teachings. Most of Pink's writings made available to the public at Pink's Archive site. When he wrote this book, Pink was clearly concerned about the elevation of man and his abilities at the expense of the sovereignty of God throughout Christendom. He understood that presenting a high Calvinist view of God's sovereignty would not win any popularity contests, and he was certainly right about this.

I found this book to be the best systematic treatment of establishing the sovereignty of god in all things that I have yet read. One of the joyous facts of all of Pink’s works is his use of scripture to explain, prove and sustain his statements. He relies more on Scripture even though he quotes throughout the book the giants of the Christian faith in the words of Calvin, Luther, Edwards, Spurgeon and Augustine.

I also felt that Pink's discourse on human responsibility and accountability for his actions was utterly outstanding. The reconciliation of human responsibility or 'free-will' in light of God's sovereignty has been a central issue in Christianity throughout its history. I felt that Pink's attempt at reconciling the difficulty is a very significant achievement that moves the discussion in a very positive direction. Throughout his discourse, Pink's Biblical exegesis is thorough and often compelling.

Realizing the sovereignty of our God will accomplish peace in the hearts of His people like nothing else can bring. Knowing that God is sovereign will allow the Christian to truly walk by faith - Biblical faith in a God who loves him and sovereignly works all things according to His good pleasure

Pink has this to say about the importance of this Biblical truth on p.19 "It is... the key to history, the interpreter of providence...and the foundation of Christian theology, p.215...it is designed as the sheet anchor for our souls amid the storms of life.

Though there are many good things in this book, it is not the complete picture of God. This focus on God’ Sovereignty, though wonderful and necessary a subject for meditation, can also lead into many dangerous and off balanced positions. Read discerningly and search the scriptures. ( )
  moses917 | Feb 17, 2010 |
It has often been pointed out that a fundamental requirement in expounding the Word of God is the need of preserving the balance of truth.

Handles a doctrine little understood and heard of infrequently in these days of humanism. This book gives God his proper place of supremacy and is a classic on the subject.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:38 -0400)

This theological classic, first published in 1919, was notorious for its independent take on the Bible. In it, Arthur Pink fiercely defends the sovereignty of God against the apparent threat of the Devil. His doctrinal belief is that that God both elects and reprobates, as Romans 9:21-23 clearly teaches. "Fear not!" he admonishes. "All things are moving in accord with His eternal purpose, and therefore, all things are working together for the good of them that love God." With admirable facility and clear, simple language, Pink uses the Scriptures to answer a host of questions that may have remained unresolved in the minds of many Christians. The result is an important guide post for the recently converted as well as a strong defense against the free will of man.… (more)

Bridge Logos

An edition of this book was published by Bridge Logos.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,823,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible