dismiss

The Chosen by Chaim Potok

The Chosen (1967)

by Chaim Potok

"Anyone who finds it is finding a jewel. Its themes are profound and universal."--The Wall Street Journal It is the now-classic story of two fathers and two sons and the pressures on all of them to pursue the religion they share in the way that is best suited to each. And as the boys grow into young men, they discover in the other a lost spiritual brother, and a link to an unexplored world that neither had ever considered before. In effect, they exchange places, and find the peace that neither will ever retreat from again. . . .… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, JCLD01, Sorraca, gourmet77, TonyVP, Peregrinations, iambriam, jostie13
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose
    Gilead by Marilynne Robinson (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books explore the relationship between fathers and sons within a context of deep religious faith.
    Slavernes skibe by Thorkild Hansen (WorldreaderBCN)

English (84)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (86)
An addictive coming-of-age story. It was both an easy read and a profound, emotional one. I'd recommend it to anyone inside and outside the faith; it's quite relatable. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 17, 2020 |
813.54 POT
  alessandragg | Apr 16, 2020 |
Young Hasidic man feels call to become an artist, in conflict with the tenets of his faith. ( )
  ritaer | Feb 29, 2020 |
This was recommended by a friend - she does like intense books. What I liked about it was the peek into the world of orthodox Jews in the 1940s through the story of friendship between two boys and the story of their relationships with their fathers. It was also a history lesson about the birth of Israel. It's heavy and emotional, perhaps a little over the top for me. It's also personally hard to appreciate a story where the women are all but invisible. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Reuven Malter and Danny Saunders have both grown up in the Orthodox Jewish community of 1940s Brooklyn, but had never met: Danny’s father’s position as leader of a Russian Hasidic sect and Reuven’s father’s more progressive approach means that they do not move in the same circles. But when Reuven’s eye is badly injured by a ball hit by Danny during a baseball game, initial enmity develops into a surprising ongoing friendship, one that is tested as Danny struggles with his father’s expectations that he will follow in his footsteps to become the new leader of the sect after his father’s death. The book follows their friendship to the end of the Second World War and beyond, when the formation of the State of Israel, vehemently opposed by Danny’s father and vehemently advocated by Reuven’s, tests their friendship to its limit...

This book introduced cultures that were completely strange to me, and finding out about how some lives were lived very differently in mid-twentieth century U.S.A. was fascinating. It also introduced baseball, which was less fascinating, and I did find the chapter describing the baseball game a struggle as I had really very little idea what was going on. I didn’t love this as much as some people seem to, but there was certainly much to think about, and I may well go on to read something else by the same author. ( )
1 vote SandDune | Feb 8, 2019 |

Potok, Chaimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, D.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When a trout rising to a fly gets hooked on a line and finds himself unable to swim about freely, he begins with a fight which results in struggles and splashes and sometimes an escape. Often, of course, the situation is too tough for him.
In the same way the human being struggles with his environment and with the hooks that catch him. Sometimes he masters his difficulties; sometimes they are too much for him. His struggles are all that the world sees and it naturally misunderstands them. It is hard for a free fish to understand what is happening to a hooked one.

- Karl A. Menninger
True happiness
Consists not in the multitude of friends,
But in the worth and choice.

- Ben Jonson
To Adena
For the first fifteen years of our lives, Danny and I lived within five blocks of each other and neither of us knew of the other’s existence.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,373,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible