Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, Book…

Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Lilith Saintcrow

Member:JenniferWells
Title:Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, Book 1)
Authors:Lilith Saintcrow
Info:Orbit (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages

Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow

Recently added byrena75, DuckOfDoom, private library, TaraWood, Marz38
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (amberwitch)
    Archangel's Kiss by Nalini Singh (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: For that combative, possessive kind of romance between a powerful, immortal being and an independent, violence-prone mortal woman.
    Ill Wind by Rachel Caine (amberwitch)
    Touch the Dark by Karen Chance (amberwitch)
    Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (jlparent)
    jlparent: Both share a tough female lead who is good at raising the dead, having a smart mouth, and kicking ass.
    Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey (MyriadBooks)
    Street Magic by Caitlin Kittredge (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Edgy, gritty urban fantasy with a hint of romance.
    Blood Angel by Justine Musk (amberwitch)
    Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin (TheLibraryhag)

There’s something about demon themed Urban Fantasy I just dig up. There’s always such creatively developed worlds, for one thing. This one having Lucifer was a turn off from the blurb as it sounded far-fetched and cheesy, but the way it was done made sense and worked well.

The main focus is on Dante as she tries to uncover, working with the at first unwilling Japhrimel, where the hiding demon is who has killed her former friend and lover and a slew of others. Japh has a vendetta of his own, which is slowly revealed as the story progresses. Lucifer isn’t in the story much in person, thankfully, and it’s mainly with Dante and her former love, two friends, and Japh.

Dante is another typical uptight, chip on the shoulder a-mile-wide heroine. She nears the suicidal edge often and could care less whether she survives. She lives on anger, revenge, and vengeance alone. Her sense of humor is barely there with jokes herself but she can crack a smile if it’s warranted. She is without hope and lives with horrible memories of her past and all the bad stuff she’s endured (quite a bit). Japh is fascinating and inhuman as he shows emotions and stays silent most of the time. I loved their interactions. Her friends would have irritated me sooooo badly with a stunt they pulled in keeping something from her. I would have hit the roof!

She’s a necromance, which is a cool ability I love reading about. It’s different from the Anita Blake of necromancy completely and isn’t concentrated on too much.

It’s a quickly paced book, hard to put down, and not that long in length, so with personal issues and the action it’s a breeze to fly through. The fighting scenes are intense and, even if Dante isn’t the best in the world, the characters overall are winners and the story was a good one. The ending was a shocking, depressing slap in the face, however, and if I hadn’t cheated and snuck a piece at spoilers for the second, well…probably wouldn’t have kept reading.

Doesn’t leave the reader with a good feeling. In so many ways, definitely a dark series, through and through.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Synopsis: Dante Valentine is a necromancer in a futuristic society. She is contacted by Lucifer to recapture an egg and to kill the particular demon who stole it. She is also given a demon as a familiar and a protector. Dante, along with her familiar, two friends and a former lover go after the demon, finding that he has taken some DNA from the egg and from female murder victims to create a child.
Review: This is a really well written story that moves right along without a who lots of introspective angst. I am rather bummed that the familiar was killed off; he was an interesting character. ( )
  DrLed | Jun 12, 2016 |
A very interesting and excellent read. The magic system, the characters, the dialog, the world in general; everything is just about perfect. I like Saintcrow. I started of reading her new steampunk series and decided that I needed to read some of her older stuff. I was right. Dante is a great heroine. She is interesting, she knows who she is, and she handles most of the bad stuff in this novel with grace. The magic system is something that I really loved. This world is like ours but it is an alternate reality with all the fun stuff that we all wish were real. Dante is a necromance but she does not raise the dead, just their spirits mostly for lawyers but she is the most powerful one on the planet at the moment. Her love interest I liked. He was not annoying. In fact other than Dante ex-lover I liked all the character's, including the Devil. I look forward to reading the next book.

I give this book a Five out of Five stars. ( )
  lrainey | May 10, 2016 |
3.5 out of 5 stars. Page turning tale of Dante Valentine, a "necromance" (she can raise the dead for consult) is forced to take a job from the devil to find and kill a rogue demon. Along for the ride is the devil's right-hand-man, Japhrimel, and her other "psionic" friends, who range from another necromance, to a dirtwitch and a shaman. It was an interesting book that had me hooked to see what was coming next, but I'm ultimately left feeling a little used and worn out by the ending. I'll have to see how the next book in the series fares (there are 5 total). ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
I liked it -- wanted to keep reading -- enjoyed the characters...but...there was something lacking. Lots of times it felt like there was too much description/too many words about certain things, and often it wasn't completely clear. That was a little frustrating -- almost found myself wanting to skim certain parts. Also found myself distracted (away from what I was reading) and re-reading a few times (or realizing I should re-read because I couldn't remember what I'd just read, but not always interested enough to do so).

I would like to read more in the series -- wonder if the writing style improves as the series goes on -- but I won't be jumping right into it. (The library doesn't have Book 2, and I won't be purchasing -- I'll request the library track it down, but like I said, most likely not right away.) ( )
  emblue | Jan 3, 2016 |
Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vitami ritrovai per una selva oscura,che la dritta via era smarrita.— Dante
Hell hath no limits, nor is circumscribed
In one self place, but where we are is hell,And where hell is must we ever be.
— Mephistopheles, by way of Marlowe
To L. I.
I keep my bargains
My working relationship with Lucifer began on a rainy Monday.
"-leave me," Japhrimel snarled. "You will not leave me to wander the earth alone - breathe, damn you, breathe!"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316003131, Mass Market Paperback)

When the Devil needs a rogue demon killed, who does he call?

The Player: Necromance-for-hire Dante Valentine is choosy about her jobs. Hot tempered and with nerves of steel, she can raise the dead like nobody's business. But one rainy Monday morning, everything goes straight to hell.

The Score: The Devil hires Dante to eliminate a rogue demon: Vardimal Santino. In return, he will let her live. It's an offer she can't refuse.

The Catch: How do you kill something that can't die?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:37 -0400)

In the future, necromancer Danny Valentine is hired by Lucifer to track and kill fugitive demon Vardimal Santino and retrieve a relic he stole from Hell. She is given a demon to aid and protect her.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,816,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible