Children of the dust by Louise Lawrence

Children of the dust (original 1985; edition 1986)

by Louise Lawrence

2451174,481 (3.79)1 / 21
Member:wainuiomartian
Title:Children of the dust
Authors:Louise Lawrence
Info:Lions Tracks, 1986.
Collections:Fiction, Your library
Tags:SF, post-apocalypse, nuclear war

Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence (1985)

I read this book in fourth grade or so, while we were stuck in the car on a hot day, driving endless around Northern California. It was an incredibly depressing book.
  csoki637 | Nov 27, 2016 |
I read this in middle school, and it traumatized the hell out of me. It begins before nuclear bombs go off, and then pitilessly takes a few characters (children and one of their parents) through their attempts to survive. To this day I put covers over my drinking water so that radioactive dust won't drift down and contaminate it, as I vividly remember it doing in this book.
2 vote wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
The nuclear war has begun. Who will survive and what kind of life will they be left with when the dust clears? This book follows one family that is split up as the bombs fall on Great Britain, and what happens when their descendents are reunited.

A great book on preparedness, adaptation, change and acceptance of that change and how we can make the best of a really bad thing. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |

CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
A book of ideas, the plot is a little too tidy and convenient as the book concentrates on the 'what-ifs?' of survival and society after all-out nuclear war. More interesting now as an example of young adult literature from a time when nuclear war was a very real fear. ( )
  Moomin_Mama | Jan 6, 2012 |
For the children
That they may never know the dust
It was such a perfect day, a promise of summer with cloudless blue skies.

Publishers' blurb: After a nuclear war devastates the earth, a small band of people struggles for survival in a new world where children are born with strange mutations.

"There's only one thing worse than dying in a nuclear war and that's surviving," said Sarah bitterly. "Even if we live through the next fourteen days, there will be nothing left! Just ruins and radiation sickness...no one to help us, no means of living."

But Sarah is wrong. Out of the dust comes - in the end - new life, hope, and a golden vision of the future.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,311,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible