How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So…

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk (1980)

by Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish

Other authors: Kimberly Ann Coe (Illustrator)

Recently added byprivate library, amysan, PeacemakerCenter, Awill424, cuidiucork, Kimberly_M, RetroRuby, vittithing

English (42)  Spanish (1)  All languages (43)
Great book encouraging more positive ways to listen to children. Illustrated with cartoons to make it much easier to follow and remember ( )
  AccyP | May 9, 2019 |
Haha so much of the same stuff other parenting books have said, some good ideas of how to make some changes. Some of conversation tips were nice ideas. But not much more than be involved and talk to your children, make them feel important, and show an interest in what they say. Why do we have to be told to do this.
For more reviews see my blog: https://adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |
My girlfriend gave me this book to read. It's very insightful and the techniques work for me and my children. I highly recommend it! ( )
  scott_semegran | Jan 29, 2018 |
Worth reading, then re-reading every few years. This is not just about how to talk to children, but how to communicate to and empathize effectively with anybody, especially stubborn people. Within the first few chapters, it became clear that, even though I swore since my teens never to end up like my mother (love you Mom), I was, by the book's standards, a nagger! It was an eye-opener that I was saying exactly the wrong things. Females with male friends or significant others: if your men are the type to react to a any conversation longer than a minute with stonewalling-- you will be able to relate. The book promised better communication by using fewer but well-chosen words, and I was game for anything that could reduce the stress I felt in many recent emotionally and verbally exhausting attempts to resolve conflict, that still ended up nowhere. I have to say I have been trying out the basic techniques, and am amazed at the positive reaction I am getting from grown adults. It is easy to slip into old habits, so again, I plan to re-read this whenever I feel the need for a refresher course.

My copy is the 30th Anniversary edition, with a new chapter by Adele Faber's daughter, Joanna, who shares her own experience with her mother's methods. I like that it is not something simply an echoing of what has already been said, but a substantial addition, with many ideas on how the method continues to work in the next generation.

The writing is clear and the format is very harried-parent (-spouse/-friend) friendly: a bulleted list summarizes the main points of each chapter, and cartoons and workbook pages with all the key words really help one internalize the ideas.

I look forward to revisiting this book again soon. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
This book is thoroughly engaging and I'm glad I bumped into this while browsing for something. It talks about various ways in which you can allow of your kid to talk and open up themselves, while making them better listeners themselves. There are practice questions / exercises throughout the book that'll help you ingrain the concepts in your mind.

I found many parts of the book ingenious and easy to implement. The section on alternatives to punishment was absolutely eye-opening. My wife and I have discussed many pointers in this book and are on the way practice them with our 6 yr old.

I thought I was a good (at least decent) parent, but the book said otherwise. Time to improve now!

The best part of the book is that the relationship rules / guidelines mentioned can be applied to any relationship - so technically the title could have been 'How to talk so others will listen...'. ( )
  nmarun | May 15, 2017 |

Adele Faberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mazlish, Elainemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Coe, Kimberly AnnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380811960, Paperback)

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk is an excellent communication tool kit based on a series of workshops developed by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. Faber and Mazlish (coauthors of Siblings Without Rivalry) provide a step-by-step approach to improving relationships in your house. The "Reminder" pages, helpful cartoon illustrations, and excellent exercises will improve your ability as a parent to talk and problem-solve with your children. The book can be used alone or in parenting groups, and the solid tools provided are appropriate for kids of all ages.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

The twentieth anniversary edition of the best-selling parenting guide includes updated information as well as the practical, sensible advice that made the book a classic to begin with.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,554,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible