The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea

The Illuminatus! Trilogy (original 1984; edition 1998)

by Robert Shea, Robert Anton Wilson

Member:towo
Title:The Illuminatus! Trilogy
Authors:Robert Shea
Other authors:Robert Anton Wilson
Info:Robinson Publishing (1998), Paperback, 805 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, conspiracies, drugs, mythology, psychology, fourth wall breaking, acid trip, Illuminati, 23, philosophy, literature, demonstration, mind games, complexity, discordianism

The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea (1984)

Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter (princemuchao)
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (craigim, ateolf)
    Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon (Bigrider7)
    Bigrider7: A pair of whimsical books where reality is never quite what it appears, and is much more indiscrete and lacking in continuity than many of us can handle. Secrets about how life operates lurking just beyond the views of perceptions
    Principia Discordia by Malaclypse The Younger (princemuchao, sbuehrle)
    Minor Episodes / Major Ruckus (The Chaos! Quincunx) by Garry Thomas Morse (ringreader)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (5hrdrive)
    The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (PghDragonMan)

Reading this with Trump in office... I guess it just reminds me that things were really nuts back when Nixon was in office, too! Scott Adams, the cartoonist for Dilbert, pointed out that Trump, well, I don't remember the words, but Trump is like a sorcerer. And then this nutcase shoots up Las Vegas. We're really living in a kind of nightmare. And that's what this book points out.

At the metaphysical level, I would say this book is rather nihilistic. I recently watched a video where Camille Paglia rants against Derrida & co. for being careerists yeah but also nihilists. She points out that the authentic heritage of the 1960s involves reconnecting with the body. Yeah it is interesting, the various strands of the 1960s and how they veer off target one way or the other. A background thread in this book advocates interplanetary colonization. Definitely one strand of the 1960s, like say Stewart Brand, goes off into techno-utopian fantasy land. Except to a large degree that's the nightmare we're living. Steve Jobs, for example.

Yeah postmodernism has a kind of veneer of the left but actually it is very reactionary. Thich Nhat Hanh vs Julius Evola. Worth careful study and analysis! ( )
1 vote kukulaj | Oct 9, 2017 |
Imagine if conspiracy theories were true. Not just some - all of them. This wonderfully insane book peels back the layers of conspiracy theories like the layers of an onion - and they just get stranger. A brain-expanding, head-spinning, stomach-churning adventure story. ( )
  Pezski | Jun 8, 2017 |
Absolutely fantastic. One of my all time favorites. Funny and mind bending. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
The Illuminatus! Trilogy - consisting 'The Eye in the Pyramid', 'The Golden Apple' and 'Leviathan' - is a massive riff on conspiracy theories, where NOTHING is as it seems and EVERYTHING has multiple, usually contradictory, meanings and explanations. The story is not really the point here, as every event is shown to have some connection to pretty much every other event and can be explained by extending a fantastic web of false logic further and further from any reasonable explanation of reality. Ultimately, the Trilogy is telling us that the Illuminati is a secret group directing civilisation in order to enslave it, or, the Illuminati is a secret group directing civilisation in order to free it.

Written in a Beat Generation stream-of-consciousness style and a fragmented timeline that further confuses us as to who is the who and what is the what.

I sort of got the joke, but found 800 pages of it a bit wearing. ( )
  pierthinker | Dec 7, 2015 |
Not good enough but still better than Pinchon. ( )
  bloodrizer | Nov 19, 2015 |

Shea, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, Robert Antonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ochagavia, CarlosCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Eye in the Pyramid
The history of the world is the history of the warfare between secret societies.
--Ishmael Reed, Mumbo-Jumbo
The Golden Apple
There is no god but man.

Man has the right to live by his own law -- to live in the way that he wills to do: to work as he will: to play as he will: to rest as he will: to die when and how he will.

Man has the right to eat what he will: to drink what he will: to dwell where he will: to move as he will on the face of the earth.

Man has the right to think what he will: to speak what he will: to write what he will: to draw, paint, carve, etch, mold, build as he will: to dress as he will.

Man has the right to love as he will.

Man has the right to kill those who thwart these rights.
--The Equinox: A Journal of Scientific Illuminism, 1922 (edited by Aleister Crowley)
Leviathan
The mutation from terrestrial to interstellar life must be made, because the womb planet itself is going to blow up within a few billion years ... Planet Earth is a stepping stone on our time-trip through the galaxy. Life has to get its seed-self off the planet to survive ...
There are also some among us who are bored with the amniotic level of mentation on this planet and look up in hopes of finding someone interesting to talk to.
--Timothy Leary, Ph.D., and L. Wayne Brenner, Terra II
To Gregory Hill and Kerry Thornley
To Arlen and Yvonne
The Eye in the Pyramid
It was the year when they finally immanentized the Eschaton.
The Golden Apple
April 25 began, for John Dillinger, with a quick skimming of the New York Times; he noticed more fnords than usual.
Leviathan
For over a week the musicians had been boarding planes and heading for Ingolstadt.
Filled with sex and violence--in and out of time and space--the three books of The Illuminatus are only partly works of the imagination. They tackle all the coverups of our time--from who really shot the Kennedys to why there's a pyramid on a one-dollar bill. 805
Tons of drugs and sex.
Conspiracies up the ass.
An epic mind-fuck.
(Carnophile)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:35 -0400)

Science fiction trilogy in single volume. Filled with sex and violence they are only partly works of imagination. They tackle all the cover ups of our age.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,524,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible