The Right Mistake: The Further Philosophical…

The Right Mistake: The Further Philosophical Investigations of Socrates…

by Walter Mosley

Not as good as the rest of the series and a bit disjointed. I don't think Mosley did a good job of tying Walkin the Dog to this one. There was only a brief mention of Iula and none of the dog at all. the story, as a stand alone, would have been pretty decent. As a series, though, it fell a bit short. all in all, I really enjoyed the Socrates Fortlow series and will miss him terribly! ( )
  rsalley76 | Mar 13, 2018 |
Wow this book was a great read! I honestly didn't think I would enjoy it but upon beginning, I kept reading. I am the type of person who reads about 50 books at a time, seriously...but when I started reading this one...I kept coming back to it until it was completed. It was just really good. The man was released from prison for murder and creates a group for discussions with various members who come together to meetings. They are all from different walks of life, different races, different careers, if any and some of them have been in prison, others nowhere near. You just have to read it. Its actually a pretty inspiring read in some ways...telling you that even if you can't change the world, you can talk about it and try to change it a little bit at a time...it does work! ( )
  diananagy | Aug 19, 2014 |
Socrates Fortlow, a former convict and convicted murderer, decides to bring a wide-ranging group of people together to discuss the problems of their world. Many of these are people who have been in trouble with the law, which creates problems for Socrates, because the law decides his Thursday night thinker's meetings are dangerous. For the local people, however, Socrates provides something much more important: a chance to get together and work out the things that plague them, to figure out how to resolve problems both internal and external. Although I usually avoid audio books with the same fervor I avoid rattlesnakes, this one actually is probably better as an audiobook, because the different dialects of the characters adds something to the story that can't be fully experienced in a written text. ( )
  Devil_llama | Sep 7, 2013 |
Very different from anything I have read before, this book brought to light a life perspective from the "other side of the tracks." Enlightening and hopeful. ( )
  libq | Feb 17, 2011 |
One of Mosley's best
  Kennetha | Feb 26, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 046500525X, Hardcover)

Living in South Central L.A., Socrates Fortlow is a sixty-year-old ex-convict, still strong enough to kill men with his bare hands. Now freed after serving twenty-seven years in prison, he is filled with profound guilt about his own crimes and disheartened by the chaos of the streets. Along with his gambler friend Billy Psalms, Socrates calls together local people of all races from their different social stations—lawyers, gangsters, preachers, Buddhists, businessmen—to conduct meetings of a Thinkers’ Club, where all can discuss the unanswerable questions in life.

The street philosopher enjoins his friends to explore—even in the knowledge that there’s nothing that they personally can do to change the ways of the world—what might be done anyway, what it would take to change themselves. Infiltrated by undercover cops, and threatened by strain from within, tensions rise as hot-blooded gangsters and respectable deacons fight over issues of personal and social responsibility. But simply by asking questions about racial authenticity, street justice, infidelity, poverty, and the possibility of mutual understanding, Socrates and his unlikely crew actually begin to make a difference.

In turns outraged and affectionate, The Right Mistake offers a profoundly literary and ultimately redemptive exploration of the possibility of moral action in a violent and fallen world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:14 -0400)

After serving nearly three decades in prison for his deadly crimes, Socrates returns to the streets of South Central L.A. to connect with old friends and encourage new ones to join him in his campaign to get to the heart of gang violence in the hopes of making a difference and saving the lives of others.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,067,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible