Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Vol. 18 by Naoki…

Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Vol. 18 (edition 2008)

by Naoki Urasawa

Series: Monster (18)

MONSTER weaves the riveting story of brilliant Dr. Kenzo Tenma, a famous surgeon with a promising career at a leading hospital. Tenma risks his reputation and promising career to save the life of a critically wounded young boy. Unbeknownst to him, this child is destined for a terrible fate. Conspiracies, serial murders, and a scathing depiction of the underbelly of hospital politics are all masterfully woven together in this compelling manga thriller. A diabolical monster has transformed Ruhenheim, a little village nestled in the German countryside, into hell on earth--and his name is Johan. Tenma, Grimmer and Inspector Lunge try desperately to stem the flow of carnage as Nina steels herself for a final confrontation with her twin brother. Will Johan's madness succeed in snuffing out the lives of everyone who's ever known him? All questions are answered in the thrilling, pulse-pounding conclusion to Naoki Urasawa's Monster, one of the most exciting manga series of all time! MONSTER first appeared in the pages of Shogakukan's Big Comic Original manga anthology and weaves the riveting story of brilliant Dr. Kenzo Tenma, a famous surgeon with a promising career at a leading hospital. Tenma risks his reputation and promising career to save the life of a critically wounded young boy. Unbeknownst to him, this child is destined for a terrible fate. A string of strange and mysterious murders begin to occur soon afterward, ones that professionally benefit Dr. Tenma, and he emerges as the primary suspect. Conspiracies, serial murders, and a scathing depiction of the underbelly of hospital politics are all masterfully woven together in this compelling manga thriller.… (more)
Member:James.Danzl.III
Title:Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Vol. 18
Authors:Naoki Urasawa
Info:VIZ Media LLC (2008), Edition: 0, Paperback, 210 pages

Monster, Volume 18: Scenery for a Doomsday by Naoki Urasawa

Finale and wrap-up. I'm relieved and disturbed and I made it all the way to the very end by holding my breath, and then, despite the fact that I had given up on one of my pet theories about this series, it came back like a ton of bricks and crushed me. My god this series was so good, and the bastard never even gave us the names of the twins. I want to cry and gnash my teeth.

I feel like I just sat through one of PK's little readings and was just deemed an insufficient child and made to go home. Maybe I ought to go find a mirror even though I've been so busy lately.

*shiver*

I'll always remember this series. What a mind trip. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
It's almost ridiculous how many characters turn up for the final showdown with Johan. So much happens in this volume, and I'm not sure what to think. I'm a little mad aboutGrimmer's fate. I wanted that guy to get another chance at a decent life. I think Tenma would have helped him.

I'm glad I made it all the way to the end, but it's a little unsatisfying. It's not terribly important, but I'd have liked to learn what Johan and Nina's mom named them. Will Johan ever heal? And who are we supposed to see as the “monster” in this series? For Tenma, for most of the series, it was Johan. Now, though, it seems like Johan's mother is being named as the root of all of it, for naming her children as executors of her vengeance and for choosing between her children when it came time to send one to the recital at the mansion. Johan spent his whole life wondering if Anna/Nina was sent because his mother preferred him, or if she had simply mixed up which child was which (since Johan dressed like his sister) and had intended to send him, the less favored child, instead.

I'm still not sure what to think about this ending, although it's one that will probably stick with me.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Dec 7, 2014 |

Naoki Urasawaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Yamada, SatokiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Monster (18)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,266,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible