Funeral In Blue πŸ“š (SERIES: WILLIAM MONK:…

Funeral In Blue πŸ“š (SERIES: WILLIAM MONK: 012) (My… (2001)

by Anne Perry (A.K.A. REAL NAME Juliet Marion Hulme) [1938-] (Author), Robert Clark (Author Photo)

Member:booker4
Title:Funeral In Blue πŸ“š (SERIES: WILLIAM MONK: 012) (My Library-Book-Novel-Historical Fiction-Mystery)
Authors:Anne Perry (A.K.A. REAL NAME Juliet Marion Hulme) [1938-] (Author)
Other authors:Robert Clark (Author Photo)
Info:Fawcett Books (2002) ; Paperback ; 340 pages
Collections:COVER SCANNED, Your library, To read
Rating:*****
Tags:[MY LIBRARY-BOOK-S-F-P-πŸ“š-NOVEL-πŸ“š-HISTORICAL FICTION-πŸ“š-MYSTERY-πŸ“š], πŸ“š, 2019/05/15, [TITLE: FUNERAL IN BLUE (NOVEL) (HISTORICAL FICTION) (MYSTERY) {2001}], {2001}, (SERIES: William Monk ; 012 Of ...), ●

A Funeral in Blue by Anne Perry (2001)

In the twelfth book in Anne Perry's Monk series, we find Monk and Hester investigating the murder of Dr. Kristian Beck's wife along with another woman. The two women are found in an artist studio with their necks broken. Monk works with his old nemesis Runcorn to find the murderer, building on the tentative accord they reached in the previous book.
Each book seems to be getting better and better. They all start a bit slow as Ms. Perry builds each case detail by detail. I had no idea until the last few pages who the real murderer was though it made perfect sense. I missed Oliver Rathborn (who's in Italy), but the rest of the cast of characters make appearances. Now I'm eager to see how Lady Callandra and Kristian go forward. And there's a good cliffhanger about the central mystery to the series: ( )
  N.W.Moors | Jul 10, 2018 |
If not for William Monk and his wife Hester, Funeral in Blue would have been a total disappointment. I like these characters so much I will suffer through much, it seems. In Funeral in Blue, every single characters spends way too much time asking themselves questions, navel gazing and occasionally contradicting themselves. Perry pads the story with repetitions of the victim’s heroism and beauty. In fact, any time someone talks of the victim, her heroism and beauty is mentioned. It is exhausting and completely unnecessary. The entire book is repetitive – the victim’s beauty and heroism, the accused murderer’s sensual mouth and skill as a doctor, one woman’s unrequited love for the doctor, and Monk’s amnesia are all mentioned so often I started to wonder if Perry feared her readers suffered from Short Term Memory Loss.

Full Review: http://swampofboredom.com ( )
  MelissaLenhardt | Mar 11, 2018 |
Kristian Beck, a doctor, loses his wife to murder. Everyone knows that Kristian is married, but no one has met his wife. Perry goes into the history of Kristian and Elissa Beck during the revolution in Austria in 1848. Perry also slips into the story the hatred and prejudice towards Jews. I thoroughly enjoy the glimpses of history, and the underlying currents of each period. Elissa Beck has fallen into the gambling pit, and has turned to an ex-lover to cover her losses. Krisian is arrested for the murder of his wife, but Sir Oliver Rathbone is away in Scotland and cannot defend Kristian. Kristian's father-in-law, Fuller Pendreigh, must defend him. The killer is a surprise, not who I expected. The cast of characters is impressive with the reappearance of Hester's brother and sister-in-law. ( )
  delphimo | Jul 25, 2011 |
This was a Hester and William Monk story. A friend of Hester's, a doctor's wife, is murdered in an artist's studio along with the artist's model. Interesting beginning. Then Hester's brother comes to her because he fears his wife is having an affair. Monk gets involved in solving the murder of the doctor's wife and must work with his old rival Runcorn. This novel was overlong in my opinion and had a lot of information that I would have skipped over if I had been reading it instead of listening to the audiobook. ( )
  Kathy89 | Nov 18, 2010 |
Another good William Monk novel. Anne Perry always has a good story that keeps you turning those pages. ( )
  IllanoyGal | Aug 16, 2010 |

Perry, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clark, RobertAuthor Photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colacci, Davidsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Griffini, Grazia MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Meg MacDonald, for her wonderful ideas, her work, and her belief in me
The operating room was silent except for the deep, regular breathing of the gaunt young woman who lay on the table, the immense bulge of her stomach laid bare.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345440021, Mass Market Paperback)

In her haunting new Victorian novel, Anne Perry brings to rich and passionate life the city that she has made her own. Once more she shares the intimacy of London's opulent drawing rooms and guides readers through gaslit thoroughfares that echo with hooves on cobblestones, the cries of street vendors, the shouts of newsboys reporting the headlines . . . of two beautiful women found strangled in the studio of a well-known London artist. One of the victims is the wife of Hester Monk's colleague, surgeon Dr. Kristian Beck, a Viennese emigre who swiftly becomes the principal suspect. Now investigator William Monk and his wife seek evidence to save Beck from the hangman, hoping to penetrate not only the mystery of Elissa Beck's death, but the riddle of her life. . . .

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:10 -0400)

hen two women are found strangled in the studio of a London artist, including the wife of Dr. Kristian Beck, who is accused of the killing, William Monk, his wife Hester, and their close friend, Lady Callandra Daviot, set out to clear their friend's name.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,907,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible