Letter to My Daughter by Maya Angelou

Letter to My Daughter (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Maya Angelou (Author)

Member:Tea58
Title:Letter to My Daughter
Authors:Maya Angelou (Author)
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2009), Edition: Trade Paperback Edition, 192 pages
Collections:Untitled collection
Rating:*****
Tags:death, dance, Senegal, Paris, James Baldwin, Fannie Hamer, poetry, Langston Hughes, Aime Cesaire, Africa, mother, Arkansas, son, daughters, Missouri, California, San Francisco, domestic abuse, Winston-Salem, grandmother, Carolinas, Mississippi Mass Choir

Letter to My Daughter by Maya Angelou (2008)

In this book, "Letter to My Daughter" by Maya Angelou, I discovered a few new facts about Doctor Maya Angelou. For example, I did not realize her mother owned a hotel. I also didn't remember her sense of humor. I also think she had the ability to disagree with a person's opinion without raising her voice and maintaining her dignity in front of other people. This book definitely gives a fuller picture of this woman's opinions.

I liked thinking about the women she called her daughters. These women must have visited her countless times and received good advice. Two of the women she listed as daughters are Oprah Winfrey and Gayle B. King. Maya Angelou also remembers people who "mothered" her whenever struggles occurred in her life. For those of us who did not have the chance to meet her personally, she hopes her books will nurture us as a mother would care for her children throughout life.

It is grand to know that the book is for every type of woman: Black, White, Jewish, Muslim, Native American, Spanish, Aleut and Muslim. Men can relate to this book as well. Dr. Maya Angelou makes us comfortable with the rest of the world. She shares cultural mistakes and a light laugh. She writes about foods and of course, her friends. One friend is James Baldwin and Mrs. Coretta Scott King.

Of course, she talks about her mother and Guy. Her mother is a woman who is passionate and very ready to get protection for her daughter if necessary. Each time I read one of these books, I think of Maya Angelou as the mother and the mother as the child: She was taller than her mother. She seemed more serious than her mother. At times, it seems like the mother felt apologetic for her behavior and needed Maya Angelou's forgiveness. With all of Maya Angelou's gifts, acting and dancing among them, I feel that poetry writing was her favorite ( )
  Tea58 | Oct 12, 2017 |
Narrated by Maya Angelou, this #1 bestselling memoir warmly doles out life advice while detailing personal stories and moments of growth from Angelou’s own path.
  mcmlsbookbutler | May 8, 2017 |
I was disappointed in this book. It is laid out very elegantly; each short/very short chapter has its own cover page. The text is pretty short. Nothing really hit me as something new & important for me to think about.
  franoscar | Nov 17, 2016 |
Maya Angelou can read to me any time, anywhere.

I loved this book. If you enjoyed Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates or are looking into reading it, you will probably love this too. Letter to my Daughter is a series of essays written by Maya, and I loved them all. I listened to the audiobook edition on Scribd, and I would highly suggest you do, as well.

Maya has such a beautiful, rich, melodic voice I think it would really add to the piece if you listened to it, rather than read it.

Listening to this audiobook felt like a friend was speaking to me. I loved her, and accepted her for all her flaws and faults, just as she has learnt to accept herself. I'm not sure that I could explain how much Maya means to me, or how much she has taught me, but I love this book and I will keep it close to my heart.

She has taught me so much. She has such a wise, warm, compassionate voice. I only wish this book were longer, so that I could hear her speak more. If you decide to read this book, I hope you find it as valuable as I do. Miss you already, Maya.

tw: for quite a confronting, domestic violence scene. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Letter to My Daughter by Maya Angelou; {acquired 08/26/2013}; (4 1/2*)

What a lovely way to remember what it is that is important to focus on in life. I love Maya Angelou and her words can guide any lost soul through the storms of life. ( )
1 vote rainpebble | Feb 19, 2015 |
Nearly 40 years, six (six!) autobiographies, a dozen collections of poetry, a sprinkling of essays, children's books and a cookbook later, Angelou -- who turned 80 this spring -- has written another book, this one an odd little hodgepodge of sound advice, vivid memory and strong opinion. Despite the slimness of the volume and the randomness of its offerings, I still find myself charmed by her plain talk.

Dedicated to the daughter she never had but sees all around her, Letter to My Daughter reveals Maya Angelou's path to living well and living a life with meaning. Whether she is recalling such lost friends as Coretta Scott King and Ossie Davis, extolling honesty, decrying vulgarity, explaining why becoming a Christian is a "lifelong endeavor," or simply singing the praises of a meal of red rice--Maya Angelou writes from the heart to millions of women she considers her extended family.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,604,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible