The Sandman Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones (New…

The Sandman Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones (New Edition) (original 1996; edition 2012)

by Neil Gaiman (Author)

Series: The Sandman (9 (Issues 57-69, Vertigo Jam))

Featuring the popular characters from the award-winning Sandman series by Neil Caiman, THE SANDMAN: ENDLESS NIGHTS reveals the legend of the Endless, a family of magical and mythical beings who exist and interact in the real world. Born at the beginning of time, Destiny, Death, Dream, Desire, Despair, Delirium, and Destruction are seven brothers and sisters who each lord over their respective realms. In this highly imaginative book that boasts a diverse styles of breathtaking art, these seven peculiar and powerful siblings each reveal more about their true being as they star in their own tales of curiosity and wonder. THE SANDMAN: ENDLESS NIGHTS was the first comic graphic novel to be listed on the NY Times Best-seller list. SUGGESTED FOR MATURE READERS.… (more)
Member:ashleysb
Title:The Sandman Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones (New Edition)
Authors:Neil Gaiman (Author)
Info:Vertigo (2012), Edition: New, 320 pages

The Sandman: The Kindly Ones by Neil Gaiman (Author) (1996)

English (59)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (63)
Love how it brought so much together. Loved the art. Loved the writing. Loved the ending. Well done. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
More than ever before, we're seeing things from the past Sandman stories come back to haunt Dream. We have Lyta Hall and her baby (from way back in the beginning), Nuala of the Fae, and the Corinthian (man he's creepy) all back and ready to wreck havoc (in wildly varied ways). And that ending... knowing there's only one more book makes me really look forward to finishing this series, as weird as that sounds.

It's funny because the guest is 'you' (the reader). :D

It's 9 books in and well worth the read if you've made it this far.

Spoilers!

Such a complicated side character. Is she in the right--for a fae, she had a chance for something completely different--or is she doing the whole stockholm syndrome thing? I wonder how much we'll find out about this in the next/last story.

Isn't that always the problem with immortals... An interesting side character this, which I hope gets a bit more screen time yet.

That Pumpkin headed creature of Dream is so bizarre. An everyman with a pumpkin for a head. :D

You know, that's an interesting point. If gods were to walk the earth, as powerful beings as they are, then they would tend to warp belief towards them no matter how truely divine they are. So to die for one... Interesting.

Stories. Always stories. And a fable I've heard before twisted into something greater by Gaiman.

We don't often get a picture of all the Endless. So easy to recognize too--such distinct styles.

I never thought why they wouldn't want to be called Furies. Makes a certain sort of sense when you put it that way.

... man the Corinthian is creepy. and the death-curse of a God. Oy.

RAVENS. So many Ravens. I didn't expect to feel so much for Matthew books ago, but now it's making sense.

None are truely dead until Dream is dead... does that mean what I think it means is coming?! Onward! ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
I'm not much of a Neil Gaiman fan; I struggled through "American Gods" and was appreciative of "Stardust," but I don't actively seek out his works like some do. I'd had a few quotes from this volume of the Sandman floating around my computer for a couple of years, so when I was browsing the graphic novel collection at the library, I decided I should really give it a try. I was a little unsure about picking up #9 without having read any of the others, but a glance at the back cover indicated "these books can be read in order or as individual volumes," so I went with it.

Graphic novels aren't a genre that I tend to read, so it always takes me a little while to adapt to the visual format, and this was no exception. Although it initially did feel like being dropped into the middle of a story, I was able to pick up the threads and follow the arc of this particular volume.

Everything has a tragic, mythic, fantastical feel to it despite the sometimes modern settings. Having read this, I am interested in reading the previous volumes, although they are still a little outside my preferred reading genres. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
This one is probably the one that I love the most, but not because of the quick pace, the literary references, the art, or the final act. Or maybe it's because (or not because) of all of it.

No spoilers, but the furies can be a real bitch, and so is their puppet.

Then again, who's really pulling the strings?

This one brought me to tears both times I read it. It sneaks up on you. Even when you know it's coming from the previous volume's foreshadowing, it still sneaks up on you and you expect something else to occur and yet... it was always to be, wasn't it?

Fuck you, Destiny.
Fuck you to hell.

Oh my. I might be getting a little carried away with my emotions a little. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I hereby declare Sandman a part of me; so whoever loves Sandman loves me.

Wasn't it really inevitable, that the story of Dream had to end this way? I knew what was coming at every step I took towards the end of the story, and yet I read on.

And Gaiman didn't disappoint. It was not some grand battle, it was like how a fire dies, little by little till you cannot remember where.

Still, I loved the little moments of artistry, where the writing touches your heart and kills you at the same time. It was like being granted love and having it taken away - it's hard on you but, you would go through it all over again.
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |

Metzner, SheilaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Roeberg, ShellyEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DanielColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kahan, BobEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There's a dream in which huge faceless women with wolves astride them are chewing at my entrails and legs.
Now I'm just taking things easy. Playing a little piano, and running the best damned nightclub in this whole City of the Angels.

Collects "The Castle" and "The Kindly Ones" parts 1-13, originally published in Vertigo Jam #1 and The Sandman #57-69.
dream of the endless / learns he was a shitty dad / can't change, so he dies (elahrairah)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,218,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible