Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father…

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History (original 1986; edition 1986)

by Art Spiegelman (Author)

Series: Maus: A Survivor's Tale (1), Maus (1)

The author-illustrator traces his father's imprisonment in a Nazi concentration camp through a series of disarming and unusual cartoons arranged to tell the story as a novel.
Member:mcandre
Title:Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History
Authors:Art Spiegelman (Author)
Info:Pantheon (1986), Edition: 1st, 160 pages

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (1986)

English (204)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (211)
Should be required reading. ( )
  ddpistole | Oct 6, 2021 |
An absolutely powerful biography and memoir that changed the comic genre into the graphic narrative genre we know today. A truly stunning non-fiction story told through cartoon visuals, this is a testimony to the creative and emotional capabilities of human communication.

Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
This had been sitting on my daughter's shelf for a while. I had peeked at it a time or two to see if it interested me. Generally I haven't been a fan of comics, and the artwork for this one really just didn't do it for me. Why would I bother with a graphic work so poorly drawn? I decided to revisit it after reading Understanding Comics this week.

It's a good book. It could have been a straight-up Holocaust narrative, but the interludes with the artist and his dad and mother-in-law pull you out of the older narrative and connect it to the time of the telling, which makes it feel more immediate rather than like like something that happened in the olden times. Drawing the characters as animals makes really great sense when you read the epigraph, a quote from Hitler about Jews being a race but not humans. Dehumanizing the Nazis too (and for that matter all the good and less good peripheral characters in the story) is kind of clever.

As for the drawing style, what I found as I read was that I actually wound up not looking at the pictures very much. They were there as sort of a background, and they provided a rough point of reference I could use to sort of see the action, but they didn't stand out or draw much attention on their own. By contrast, often, when I'm reading a comic, I find myself sort of inspecting the drawings. In fact, this is what annoys me about comics. I have mostly preferred reading words, and comics force me to do lots of little attention switches. In Maus, both the words and the drawings are very unflashy and kind of spare and rough-hewn. The drawings replace clunky narrative and let the words bear their stark emotional freight, without distracting from the words. It's the story that matters here and not the artfulness of either the drawings or the words, and the form lets the horrifying story stand in the foreground, which is pretty important when it's this kind of story. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
A powerful, emotional tale that connects a father and son to the horrors of the Holocaust and the tensions present in their relationship. I am interested to see how Spiegelman will tie it together in the end. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
Making a Holocaust comic book with Jews as mice and Germans as cats would probably strike most people as flippant, if not appalling. ''Maus: A Survivor's Tale'' is the opposite of flippant and appalling. To express yourself as an artist, you must find a form that leaves you in control but doesn't leave you by yourself. That's how ''Maus'' looks to me - a way Mr. Spiegelman found of making art.

Spiegelman, Artprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amorim, FernandoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carano, RanieriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mouly, FrancoiseEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Jews are undoubtedly a race, but they are not human." Adolf Hitler
Purdue Jewish Studies Program
It was summer, I remember I was ten or eleven...
This is the single volume edition of "Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History". It does NOT contain the second volume of the story, Maus II.

DO NOT COMBINE with the omnibus edition containing both Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History and Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began!!!

AR 3.2, 3 Pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,479,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible