Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds…

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History (original 1986; edition 1986)

by Art Spiegelman (Author)

8,135200668 (4.44)305
The author-illustrator traces his father's imprisonment in a Nazi concentration camp through a series of disarming and unusual cartoons arranged to tell the story as a novel.
Member:reyonic
Title:Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History
Authors:Art Spiegelman (Author)
Info:Pantheon (1986), 159 pages

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (1986)

English (193)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (200)
story about the author's jewish parents and their experience during the german invasion of poland in WWII. nicely done. the drawings could be better, but it all fits well. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
This book is considered a classic for a reason. Art uses his illustrations not just to tell the story of the holocaust but to tell the reader about his relationship with his father. It is this relationship that has book one ending on a traumatic note. In his representation the Jews are mice, the Poles are Pigs, and the german are cats. This makes for one crazy and scary farm yard. The black and white illustrations keep the stark subject dreary and fear inducing. This book makes a better history lesson than most I had in school. It will be appreciated for my years to come.
+16 #TBRread ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Dec 28, 2019 |
In his graphic novel Maus, Art Spiegelman remembers the Holocaust by telling the true story of his father Vladek’s life in Poland during the war. Spiegelman shows the way Vladek survived the Holocaust through dark art and illustrations. This graphic novel could be taught to students to have a window into the life of a Holocaust survivor, not just during the war, but the effects after it. Vladek survived the Holocaust and did not get caught from his black market business. At the end of the novel, Vladek is guilty of negatively affecting his relationship with his son, Artie in the present by burning the only thing that connecting Artie to his deceased mother.
  asandi3 | Oct 1, 2019 |
A very strong story about the author's father's horrifying experiences as a Jew in Poland in the time of Hitler. An amazing story of survival, and a terrifying tale of death for so many who didn't make it. And in this, the Jews are portrayed as mice, and the Nazis as cats. It really makes for some powerful images.

So why only 3 stars from me? It was the "modern" story running around the above story. The author getting the story from his dad is so sad and angry, and the relationship between his dad and his dad's current wife is so full of hate, that it really took a lot away from the importance of the "survivor's tale". Honestly, I have no idea why it is included in here at all! This would have been so much better without the "modern" story that I really am baffled at its inclusion. I honestly doubt that I'd read part II if it is structured in the same way.

So, skip all the author/father stuff, and read the actual story. THAT story is brilliant! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Aug 19, 2019 |
My daughter was assigned to read this book for school, so of course I read it to. Any story about the holocaust is a sad story. This one is no exception. Told in graphic novel form, it is the true story of the author's father, who survived the Nazi concentration camps. Once again, I am struck with the feeling of disbelief. How could this have happened. Why did the people let this happen. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Making a Holocaust comic book with Jews as mice and Germans as cats would probably strike most people as flippant, if not appalling. ''Maus: A Survivor's Tale'' is the opposite of flippant and appalling. To express yourself as an artist, you must find a form that leaves you in control but doesn't leave you by yourself. That's how ''Maus'' looks to me - a way Mr. Spiegelman found of making art.

Spiegelman, Artprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amorim, FernandoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carano, RanieriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mouly, FrancoiseEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Jews are undoubtedly a race, but they are not human." Adolf Hitler
Purdue Jewish Studies Program
It was summer, I remember I was ten or eleven...
This is the single volume edition of "Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History". It does NOT contain the second volume of the story, Maus II.

DO NOT COMBINE with the omnibus edition containing both Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History and Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began!!!

AR 3.2, 3 Pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,577,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible