The Shining by Stephen King

The Shining (original 1977; edition 2012)

by Stephen King (Author)

17,430358173 (4.11)2 / 850
Jack Torrance's new job at the Overlook Hotel is the perfect chance for a fresh start. As the off-season caretaker at the atmospheric old hotel, he'll have plenty of time to spend reconnecting with his family and working on his writing. But as the harsh winter weather sets in, the idyllic location feels ever more remote . . . and more sinister. And the only one to notice the strange and terrible forces gathering around the Overlook is Danny Torrance, a uniquely gifted five-year-old.… (more)
Member:KateVz
Title:The Shining
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Anchor (2012), Edition: Reprint, 688 pages
Rating:**

The Shining by Stephen King (1977)

1970s (12)
Ghosts (10)
Winter (1)
Ghosts (2)

English (345)  Italian (3)  Dutch (3)  French (3)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (358)
Having finally gotten around to watching the movie, The Shining, last fall, and finding it didn't live up to the reputation, I really wanted to read the book it's based on. After all, Stephen King dislikes Stanley Kubric's adaptation of his book, so perhaps I'd like the book better. I'll have to say that as an adaptation, the movie doesn't stray too far from the source material. There are obviously a lot of details that the movie leaves out, as is vital in filmmaking, and Kubric did the same thing he did with 2001, where he makes ambiguous some things that are explicit in the book.

What movies cannot do well is to express the interiority of the characters, and this is an aspect of the book I liked the best. King is especially good at getting into the minds of Danny and Jack, but doesn't do it as much with Halloran and Wendy.

Jack is more of a normal person at the beginning of the book - an alcoholic with anger issues, yes - but not the half-crazed character that Jack Nicholson plays. Wendy is less of a dishrag and much more resourceful, and she even uses Danny's shining abilities to help plan their escape. Danny is the best part of the book as King does a great job of portraying a child dealing with things that someone much older would struggle to handle. The book works well as straight-up horror but also symbolic of the destructive power of toxic masculinity. ( )
  Othemts | Jan 31, 2020 |
I read this book a few months after I finished reading Cujo by Stephen King which was written after The Shining. I found many similarities. I liked The Shining better than Cujo. This one had no extra fillers in between that may seem irrelevant. It was a pretty engaging read from beginning till the end. I thought this was a horror novel before reading it as I haven't watched the movie adaptation. This is not a complete horror novel but more of a psychological thriller.

"Sometimes human places, create inhuman monsters"

The precognition or extrasensory perception was showcased in a rather interesting way. Danny seemed like more of a child prodigy at times rather than a kid with some special ability. Jack Torrance's character was pretty deep and well developed. Dick Hallorann (with 2 'l's and 2 'n's) , who shined like Danny proved to be not very crucial to the story till the very end.

“I think all mothers shine a little, you know, at least until their kids grow up enough to watch out for themselves.”

The bonding between Danny and Wendy was like a typical mother and son bonding. She was described as a really concerned mother, who sometimes overcared for her son (Ain't all the mothers in the world like that?). Jack and Danny shared a good bonding too. Danny's unreasonable love for his father despite what his father did and the jealous feeling that Wendy felt occasionally were depicted in a realistic way. We feel connected to the characters in the book as well as the locations.
Sometimes, It felt like few chapters were dragged out but the narrative kept getting intense with every chapter. Particularly, the last 100 pages were pretty intense.

I'd give this one 4.25/5.
I would've enjoyed this more if I read it a few years back. A must-read book not just for Stephen King fans but for everyone who loves dark psychological thrillers. ( )
  Kausik_Lakkaraju | Jan 20, 2020 |
I’m sure there’s few people who need telling the plot of The Shining. Alcoholic writer takes a job at the Overlook Hotel to be the caretaker over the winter taking with him his wife and son, only young Danny Torrence has a talent the like of which undocumented and to the ghosts of the Overlook he’s a shining beacon. As a side note for anyone who has only seen the film, the book is decidedly different with a depth the film lacks. This story is also far creepier than I recalled, maybe because you can feel a five-year-old’s panic. ( )
  SharonMariaBidwell | Jan 6, 2020 |
I recently became a horror fan in the past few years and the movie that kickstarted this love of all things spooky was The Shining movie with Jack Nicholson. I was enchanted! Of course I had to read it. And after reading it, I now understand why Stephen King is such a big deal.

I had multiple moments of audible gasps, enraged screams, and a feeling of dread the whole book. I fell in love with the characters and was genuinely saddened by the end. Of course the book and movie are very different, but I was pleased to find I still found myself shocked and able to find plot twists even with watching the film first. King writes in a way that is gripping, easy to relate to, and opens the floor for each character to truly be their own personality. I thoroughly enjoyed this and am excited to start the sequel. ( )
  sammers99 | Dec 8, 2019 |
Upon re-read, I think this is Stephen King's first great novel. Such a great portrait of a family dealing with addiction and crisis. Also with ghosts! ( )
  Shaun_Hamill | Oct 10, 2019 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christensen, HarroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davies, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dell'Orto, AdrianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isomursu, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was in this apartment, also, that there stood against the western wall, a gigantic clock of ebony.  Its pendulum swung to and fro with a dull, heavy, monotonous clang; and when the minute-hand made the circuit of the face, and the hour was to be stricken, there came from the brazen lungs of the clock a sound which was clear and loud and deep and exceedingly musical, but of so peculiar a note and emphasis that,
at each lapse of an hour, the musicians of the orchestra were constrained to pause, momentarily, in their performance, to harken to the sound; and thus the waltzers perforce ceased their evolutions; and there was a brief disconcert of the whole gay company; and, while the chimes of the clock yet rang, it was observed that the giddiest grew pale, and the more aged and sedate passed their hands over their brows as if in confused revery or meditation.  But when the echoes had fully ceased, a light laughter at once pervaded the assembly; the musicians looked at each other and smiled as if at their own nervousness and folly, and made whispering vows, each to the other, that the next chiming of the clock should produce in them no similar emotion; and then, after the lapse of sixty minutes, (which embrace three thousand and six hundred seconds of the Time that flies,) there came yet another chiming of the clock, and then were the same disconcert and tremulousness and meditation as before.
But, in spite of these things, it was a gay and magnificent revel.
E. A. Poe
'The Masque of the Red Death'

The sleep of reason breeds monsters.
Goya

It'll shine when it shines.
Folk saying.
This is for Joe Hill King, who shines on.
My editor on this book, as on the previous two, was M. William G. Thompson, a man of wit and good sense. His contribution to this book has been large, and for it, my thanks.
Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick.
Hallorann’s testicles turned into two small wrinkled sacs filled with shaved ice.

The Overlook Hotel is more than just a home-away-from-home for the Torrance family. For Jack, Wendy, and their young son, Danny, it is a place where past horrors come to life. And where those gifted with "the shining" do battle with the darkest evils. Stephen King's classic thriller is one of the most powerfully imagined novels of our time.

4 1973
5 2018

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,534,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible