The silence of the lambs by Thomas Harris

The silence of the lambs (original 1988; edition 1988)

by Thomas Harris

Member:AC.Belgrade
Title:The silence of the lambs
Authors:Thomas Harris
Info:New York : St. Martin's Press, c1988.
Tags:Fiction, WL 2013

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris (1988)

English (89)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (96)
This is one of those books where I'm left wondering how in the world I hadn't read this before. This was so good-suspenseful, terrifying, a real thriller that had me desperate to keep turning pages. Hannibal Lector and Clarice Starling are, of course, fascinating characters in their own right, but the supporting cast around them are complex and gripping too. I found myself finding every spare moment I could to find out if they would catch Buffalo Bill, if Lector would talk to Clarice, and just what they would all find. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Oct 1, 2018 |
As the follow-up to Red Dragon, The Silence of the Lambs continues the saga of the nefarious Dr. Hannibal Lecter. The second book in the series is stronger because it focuses more on Dr. Lecter and his intriguing interactions with FBI trainee, Clarice Starling, as she tries to help catch the heinous serial killer, Buffalo Bill. Kudos to Thomas Harris for telling the story of a strong, female character trying to make it in the very masculine FBI. By the way, she ends up kicking some ass and taking names. ( )
  rsplenda477 | Aug 12, 2018 |
One of my all time favorites.
Not a word is wasted in this bone-chilling thriller. The main character becomes the model for numerous film, tv and literary female FBI agents. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
One of my top five favorite books of all time. This is probably the fifth or sixth time I've read this book and the first time I've done so by listening to the audiobook and I was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable that was. It was narrated by Kathy Bates who did a wonderful job! FBI student lucks out when she is asked by Special Agent Crawford to do a special assignment for him; he wants her to go visit the infamous serial killer Hannibal Lector and get him to take a psychological survey to add to the database of known serial killers. Crawford would go himself but he's got his hands tied with Buffalo Bill, a serial killer that's been skinning his female victims. When Clarice goes to the maximum holding center to interview Hannibal she gets an unexpected gift from the madman himself, a tip about the Buffalo Bill. Suddenly Clarice finds herself in the middle of a serious investigation aided by Hannibal Lector. It's dark, twisted, thrilling, and a non-stop action ride. I think the movie is a GREAT adaptation of the book. Read this already! ( )
1 vote ecataldi | May 17, 2018 |
3.5 stars.

On the whole, this book was verging on the horrifying, holding up to its pretty gruesome premise. I can't say, though, that I was especially impressed by it, or liked it particularly well; it's like there was something missing for me to truly engage with it. I did, however, found Hannibal Lecter to be an utterly fascinating character: His profile as a psychopath, the unnerving polarity of his cruelty vs. his insistence upon decorum, his seeming ability to know everything. Creepy as hell. And now that I've watched the movie (which I really enjoyed) I can't help getting chills whenever I think about him... ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |

Harris, Thomasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not?
—1 Corinthians
Need I look upon a death's head in a ring, that have one in my face?
— John Donne, "Devotions"
To the memory of my father.
Behavioral Science, the FBI section that deals with serial murder, is on the bottom floor of the Academy building at Quantico, half-buried in the earth.
A census taker tried to quantify me once. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone.
I expect most psychiatrists have a patient or two they'd like to refer to me.
Nothing happened to me, Officer Starling. I happened.
WorldCat has ISBN 9024542871 for both Lelijk eendje [The Ugly Duckling] by Iris Johansen AND De schreeuw van het lam [The Silence of the Lambs] by Thomas Harris.

HANNIBAL LECTER.
THE ULTIMATE VILLAIN OF MODERN FICTION.
A young FBI trainee. An evil genius locked away for unspeakable crimes. A plunge into the darkest chambers of a psychopath's mind-- in the deadly search for a serial killer...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312924585, Mass Market Paperback)

The Silence of the Lambs, by Thomas Harris, is even better than the successful movie. Like his earlier Red Dragon, the book takes us inside the world of professional criminal investigation. All the elements of a well-executed thriller are working here--driving suspense, compelling characters, inside information, publicity-hungry bureaucrats thwarting the search, and the clock ticking relentlessly down toward the death of another young woman. What enriches this well-told tale is the opportunity to live inside the minds of both the crime fighters and the criminals as each struggles in a prison of pain and seeks, sometimes violently, relief.

Clarice Starling, a precociously self-disciplined FBI trainee, is dispatched by her boss, Section Chief Jack Crawford, the FBI's most successful tracker of serial killers, to see whether she can learn anything useful from Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Lecter's a gifted psychopath whose nickname is "The Cannibal" because he likes to eat parts of his victims. Isolated by his crimes from all physical contact with the human race, he plays an enigmatic game of "Clue" with Starling, providing her with snippets of data that, if she is smart enough, will lead her to the criminal. Undaunted, she goes where the data takes her. As the tension mounts and the bureaucracy thwarts Starling at every turn, Crawford tells her, "Keep the information and freeze the feelings." Insulted, betrayed, and humiliated, Starling struggles to focus. If she can understand Lecter's final, ambiguous scrawl, she can find the killer. But can she figure it out in time? --Barbara Schlieper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:35 -0400)

FBI Academy trainee Clarice Starling hopes that Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a criminally insane psychiatrist imprisoned in a Boston hospital, can lead her to the serial killer known only as Buffalo Bill.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,614,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible