HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Daemon (2006)

by Daniel Suarez

Series: Daemon (1)

After the premature death of Matthew Sobol, a legendary computer game designer, a daemon that he designed to dismantle society and bring about a new world order is activiated and it's up to an unlikely alliance to decipher Sobol's intricate plans and wrest the world from the grasp of his computer program.… (more)

English (136)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (142)
Fast paced cyber thriller. A little rocky in places, covers a lot of ground quickly, a bit terse in the story line at times. But I couldn't stop reading it. Looking forward to the sequel, FreedomTM ( )
  hofo | Dec 7, 2022 |
Yay libraries!

DNF at 6%. It's well written, and I tried, but it's just not for me. There are too many characters in too scattered a plot (because 6% is hardly started, I know, but I also can't tell who the MC is), and while the data dumps aren't bad, I know too much for them to have been interesting in this little bit of the novel. It's just not for me. ( )
  terriaminute | Dec 4, 2022 |
I'm not entirely sure that I liked it. It did serve as some needed fiction in my diet. It was recommended reading from a notacon9 presentation.

Coming back (9/2015) to this review (5/2012), I'm changing my mind and moving it from two stars to four. One reason is that I just finished recommending this book to a friend and so was surprised to see that I rated it only a Two. An other reason is that we are now further into the "Internet of Things" craze and it's becoming clearer that Suarez' dystopia might actually be possible. And lastly, just because I didn't enjoy the book doesn't mean that it isn't worth reading. The "plumbers" of the internet need to be ready for some of the situations depicted within. ( )
  Jeffrey_G | Nov 22, 2022 |
threat level midnight fanfic. excruciating. ( )
  sarcher | Oct 28, 2022 |
This is an impressive debut novel from this Author which, surprisingly for a first novel, is very well written and brought to mind some of the works of Michael Crichton. Readers who dislike graphic violence and sex, however, should look elsewhere as there is quite a bit of both in this novel.

My problem with writing this review is where to start with the comments on character development. This novel has a large number of important characters included but is about a few central ones. This led to the main characters coming across as rather two-dimensional and very little time was given to their depth and back stories. The characters in the book seem to appear randomly throughout its pages and, for me this led to a feeling of it being a rather impersonal book. With that said however, this is a book that is extremely fast paced and this, in itself, may have led to the lack of development of any of the characters; almost as if the Author did not want to take time out from the action to give their readers characters they could connect to.

When I say it is a fast paced book, I mean it. There is no downtime within its pages, no places where the reader can stop to take a breath and relax before the next event takes place. Unfortunately this means that in some places the plot moves so fast that it has a tendency to lose some of the details, but I had a feeling whilst reading this that this was an intentional move on the part of the Author; after all how many people feel that our real lives move at this kind of pace sometimes. The Author does an incredible job of bringing to the reader’s attention, if they were not already aware of it the fact of how much or our daily lives; both personal, business related and in the global economy that actually relies and is dependent on computer technology. After all without this technology there would be no book reviews from myself, and in this area this book can be the jumping point for some very interesting discussions for any book club that chose to read it. The Author makes the reader think and question their reliance on things that could vanish in an instant. It is this material and the Authors attention to detail that makes this novel stand out from the rest in the techno-thriller genre in my opinion.

As with all good beginning to a series of books, this one does not have a complete and tied up ending, but it does lead very nicely into the sequel which not only leaves the reader wanting more but, from a marketing point of view, can only be a good move on the part of the Author and their Publisher. I will definitely be reading the sequel as I am intrigued to see how the plot plays out.

I would highly recommend this book to lovers of the sci-fi/techno-thriller genre, and also those who like to read books that are well worth the time.

Originally reviewed on: http://catesbooknuthut.com/2013/11/15/review-daemon-daemon-1-daniel-suarez/

Melline | Aug 13, 2022 |

Daniel Suarezprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gurner, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Daemon (1)
daemon (dē´mən) n. — A computer program that runs continuously in the background and performs specified operations at predefined times or in response to certain events. Condensed from ‘Disk And Execution MONitor.’
For Michelle.
No more bedtime stories…
What the hell just happened?
Apparently, people thought nothing of hanging their personal fortunes on technology they didn't understand. This would be their undoing.
Every day was filled with surprises. What a change from the network affiliate. Her new boss was an undead automaton from hell, true, but no job was perfect.
Anyone who has ever tried to share pizza with roommates knows that Communism cannot ever work. If Lenin and Marx had just shared an apartment, perhaps a hundred million lives might have been spared and put to productive use making sneakers and office furniture.
In all, his outfit required nearly two thousand man-years of research and development, eight barrels of oil, and sixteen patent and trademark infringement lawsuits. All so he could possess casual style. A style that, in logistical requirements, was comparable to fielding a nineteenth-century military brigade.
But he looked good. Casual.
Mammals of every species indulge in play. Games are Nature's way of preparing us to face difficult realities.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,794,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible