The Fog by James Herbert (1999-04-23)

The Fog by James Herbert (1999-04-23) (1975)

The peaceful life of a Wiltshire village is shattered when an earthquake releases a cloud of strange fog that drives people insane. There is only one man who can control the violence that has been unleashed.
Member:googoomuck
Title:The Fog by James Herbert (1999-04-23)
Authors:
Info:Pan Books

Work Information

The Fog by James Herbert (1975)

The Fog was first published back in 1975 and even now, almost 50 years on it still stands the test of time, still highly relevant in todays horror genre, by an author who’s name will forever be cemented into one of the worlds top horror novelist’s.

As a large crack opens up the earth in an English town a deadly fog rises out of the fissure. Could it be vaporous cloud released from the earth itself or what else could it be? Is it something to do with the army who are based close to the rupture of the ground? It can’t have been an earthquake, not of that magnitude in England can it?

John Holman works for the same government as the army but he is working for the Department of the Environment, to investigate anything from polluted rivers to outbreaks of disease. Some might say that because of his job he was in the right place at the right time, but his encounter with the ground cracking open was not exactly fortuitous for John!

His car nosedives into the crack but he manages to escape the deep drop into the void, even managing to save a little girl at the same time.

That was his first encounter and exposure to this mysterious fog and from there on in, nothing will ever be the same again!

If you have read any of James Hurbet’s books before then you will know what you are letting yourself in for, however if you haven’t, be warned, this book is fairly graphic!

This is one of my all time favourite books of his books and he is a master storyteller who was ahead of his time with his tales of terror.

All horror fans should read at least one of his books in their lifetime and this one is a great introduction of his work. ( )
  DebTat2 | Oct 13, 2023 |
Drags a bit at times otherwise okay for this type of post-apocalypse thriller. This edition contained two Herbert short stories that were decent. ( )
  Gumbywan | Jun 24, 2022 |
This one was a little disappointing for me. I was expecting an element of the supernatural, but discovered that was not to be. I like James Herbert. I've read and enjoyed a few of his novels, but this whole 'The government did it' kind of vibe really just makes me sigh, and then wish I'd chosen something else to read instead.

Look, it was good for what it was. It was a good story revolving around a strange fog that is released due to the army performing underground explosive tests. There is no supernatural element to it at all, unless you count the fact that it seems at times to be actively hiding from it's pursuers. If you like your horror with limited mystery to it then you'll probably enjoy this. If however you prefer a little more of the unknown then I'd give this a miss. ( )
  SFGale | Mar 23, 2021 |
Bought in Bournemouth while on holiday, when I was 13. Fantastic, scary stuff. ( )
  PhilOnTheHill | Sep 8, 2019 |
I really thought this would be a dud - fog is the bad guy? But it was recommended and...

It's pretty damn good! Surprisingly so! Something about the fog makes folks go insane. In Chapter 6, what happens at the boys school far surpasses insanity and boils over into an orgy of violence and horror that is a bit stomach churning! And the jetliner story is creepy when you consider that this book was written 26 years before 9/11! I liked that this is basically a bunch of stories about how the fog effects people, birds, and animals, and the little vignettes are almost always horrifying and disgusting! These stories are the book's strength! The science bits, and even the attack on the fog aren't that riveting. But, if you're looking for a horror story, this is the book! ( )
1 vote Stahl-Ricco | Jan 11, 2019 |

James Herbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barrett, SeanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The village slowly began to shake off its slumber and come to life.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,806,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible