The Wolves in the Walls (Book & CD) by Neil…

The Wolves in the Walls (Book & CD) (original 2003; edition 2007)

by Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean (Illustrator)

Lucy is sure there are wolves living in the walls of her house, although others in her family disagree, and when the wolves come out, the adventure begins.
Member:fox.eves
Title:The Wolves in the Walls (Book & CD)
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Dave McKean (Illustrator)
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (2007), Paperback, 56 pages

The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman (2003)

English (65)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (66)
I read this for the "A Book With The Letter W In The Title" part of my 2020 reading challenge. It was really unique, I liked how the parents were so accepting that they didn't live there anymore. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
Short and intriguing, with some scary and engaging moments, as with most of Neil Gaiman's stories, there's a good element of suspense, but ultimately it's more whimsy than anything else. A fun little book. ( )
  Pepperwings | Jul 1, 2019 |
I liked this even better than [b:The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish|499215|The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish|Neil Gaiman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1432839745s/499215.jpg|2517537], probably because I am more partial to wolves than dads. Lucy hears strange noises coming from behind the walls of her house, and is convinced that wolves are trying to get out. And if the wolves come out, it's all over. By the time the book is over, however, you will be delighted. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
Lucy warns her parents and little brother that there are wolves in the walls of their house, but they each insist that the noise she is hearing is made by mice, rats, or bats. Then the wolves come out of the walls, and it is all over. Or is it? Fortunately, Lucy has to return to get her beloved pig-puppet and, at her prompting, her family also return. Now they are living in the walls...

One of a number of children's book collaborations between author Neil Gaiman and illustrator Dave McKean - other titles include Coraline, The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish and Crazy Hair - The Wolves in the Walls features an engrossing and somewhat creepy story, and mixed media artwork that perfectly captures the atmospheric thrills of Gaiman's text. I really enjoyed this one, and (as always) appreciated Gaiman's understated sense of humor. The text here is quite extensive for a picture-book, making this more of an illustrated short story, so I'd recommend this one more to middle-grade readers, than to the younger children who usually consume picture-books. Needless to say, I'd also recommend it to Gaiman and McKean fans. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Feb 2, 2018 |
This graphic novel by Neil Gaiman is called The Wolves in the Walls. The illustrations are by Dave McKean, just like in Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book, and they seem to be computer-generated, like the movie Coraline. The artwork definitely has a spooky feel that goes with the suspenseful plot. This is the story of a family of four who lives in a big, old house that has wolves living in the walls. Needless to say the wolves come out of the walls and proceed to live largely at the expense of the family. The young daughter of the family decides that while the wolves are dangerous and intimidating, the house is not theirs. She endeavors to take it back.

Like Coraline or The Graveyard Book, or a Tim Burton movie, this story has a darkish hue to it, so older elementary students (Grade 4) might be the best audience. The drawings are kind of creepy and twisted. Older kids might really like that! I like that it is the girl protagonist who saves the day while her parents and brother are too scared to. That bit of the story would be a good balance to all of those stories of a male hero. ( )
  AlbertPascal | Jan 16, 2018 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lucy walked around the house.

AR 3.9, Pts 0.5

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,624,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible