Thicker Than Water

by Mike Carey

Series: Felix Castor (4)

Author of The Girl With All the Gifts Mike Carey presents the fourth book in his hip supernatural thriller series featuring freelance exorcist Felix Castor. Old ghosts are coming back to haunt Felix. Names and faces he thought he'd left behind in Liverpool resurface in London, bringing Felix far more trouble than he'd anticipated. Childhood memories, family traumas, sins old and new, and a council estate that was meant to be a modern utopia until it turned into something like hell....These are just some of the sticks life uses to beat Felix Castor with, as things go from bad to worse for London's favorite freelance exorcist. See, Castor's stepped over the line this time, and he knows he'll have to pay. The only question is: how much? Not the best of times, then, for an unwelcome confrontation with his holier-than-thou brother, Matthew. And just when he thinks things can't possibly get any worse, along comes Father Gwilliam and the Anathema. Oh joy.... The Felix Castor Novels The Devil You Know Vicious Circle Dead Men's Boots Thicker than Water The Naming of the Beasts By the same author, writing as M. R. Carey: The Girl With All the Gifts Fellside The Boy on the Bridge… (more)

This one ended on a little bit of a cliff hanger. I'm glad I already had the next one lined up. If I had been reading as they were published I might have been cranky. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
I'm growing very comfortable with this series. Maybe not as comfortable as I've been in more than a handful of others, but it's definitely becoming a more enjoyable read. There's a lot of traditional gumshoeing in this novel, like the others, but for some reason, it feel a bit more polished that the previous novels. It's a lot less disjointed and the way it brings in Fix's wayward childhood, gangland style, was actually rather refreshing.

As always, the titles to these books have multiple references, and this one is obviously blood, be it family or the mark of the demon he's hunting. No spoilers here, but the basic story was pretty satisfying and I really enjoyed all the implications for all the souls in the world and Carey's universe. I feel like some real progress is shown in understanding the deeps.

It's one of the reasons I love UF. The speculation, I mean. Being so firmly based in our reality, it's a foundation that's almost irresistible, even when we work closely with some of the kings of hell. (Well, "king" is too structured a word, but powerful works just as well. Poor Rafi.) Once again, Castor is roped into using the big guns he has on hand, and once again, it gets away from him. I wish that we as readers could summon an ounce of surprise, but Fix is always in a fix, and being what he is, he'll use whatever tools are on hand.

I was very happy that he did fix up his relationships with his friends. Nicky and Juliet aren't worse for wear after the events of the last book, so I guess that means they forgave him.

(I suppose that means that we as readers can forgive him, too. Good. I hate holding a grudge against the main character. :)

It turns out we can transfer a lot of grudgeworthy elements over to new peeps in this novel.

I heartily approve. I want to like Fix, and now I can get a chance to like him a bit more than I have been.

This is probably the best of the novels, but then, I've been saying that as I read each novel, so that either means it's me or Carey is becoming a better writer. :)

Read this if you love magical noir, peeps. It really is getting quite fun.

bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
What an ending! I'm starting the next book today. This book had me guessing throughout the whole thing, and I was pleasantly surprised with the resolution. My favorite of the series so far. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
Haven't read this series in awhile... really enjoyed meeting the characters again. I like the writing, I like the idea.. but come on... the ending?? I mean -- hit me on the head with a sign that says "I'm writing the next one, which you must buy". If I like the series, I'll follow up and buy the next one.. cliffhangers are for season finales, not for books. ( )
  LaurieGienapp | Dec 8, 2017 |
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |

Mike Careyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lynch, DamianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To Barbara and Eric, with love
This is kind of how it would have looked, if you were watching from the outside - and this is how the papers reported it when they finally got hold of the story.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 172,001,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible