Windhaven

by Joseph Plumb Martin

Other authors: George F. Scheer (Editor)

The diary of a young Connecticut farmer, who fought against the British in the Revolutionary War.

I was a little worried this book would be difficult to read, but it was surprisingly well-written, funny, and had a lot of attitude! (Of course I realize much of it had to have been "edited" for spelling and the like.)

Having spent the last few years reading biographies of our Founding Fathers, books on the Constitution, and books on the Revolution in general, it was clear that this book is heavily referenced by other authors, certainly when it comes to the plight of the Continental soldier. And what a plight it was. I've no doubt that much of what Martin describes is accurate, most especially when it comes to the lack of "victuals," clothing, and shelter from which these men suffered.

The anecdotes Martin offers are both harrowing and amusing. He's not above poking fun at himself when he's done something questionable (like climb up a shear mountain face only to get hundreds of feet up before realizing he can't reach the summit).

If you've avoided this book because you're afraid of its perceived 18th century language differences or that it would be boring, I assure you that's not the case at all. ( )
1 vote Jarratt | Jan 23, 2018 |
Mr. Martin's experience was that of many; cold, hunger and little pay. Those who stayed, like Martin, know the British were just one obstacle. His testimony is remarkably clear. I love to read about the revolution, its causes, battles and personalities. This book is in a class by itself and gives context to all the others. ( )
  Oskar_Matzerath | Aug 17, 2014 |
A classic must-read for any Rev. War enthusiast. It provides great insight to what a soldier endured throughout the war. ( )
  tiredpof3 | Dec 6, 2013 |
This book appealed to me as it was a rare available narrative by a common soldier from the American Revolution. Having read several narratives from Civil War era privates, some of which were excellent, I was quite disappointed with this work.

Mr. Martin's account focuses almost exclusively on mundane or trivial matters which soon become so repetitious than the reader's interest wanes. Perhaps worse, Mr. Martin provides no insights or commentary on any battles or events of importance. In short, after reading this narrative I had no better insights into the War than before I began. ( )
  la2bkk | Oct 18, 2013 |
A story of a young boy who rides off to join the continental Army and the war for American independence. This book takes the reader into the battle and behind the earthworks in some of America's most important battles for American independence. Along the way our protagonist Joseph meets many famous American heroes such as George Washington. This is not a in depth historians perspective of the American revolution but it is a great way to educate and inspire young students to learn about American history. ( )
  ertreada | Mar 12, 2012 |

Joseph Plumb Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Scheer, George F.Editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fleming, Thomas J.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,322,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible