Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness…

Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness Book 1) (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Tamora Pierce (Author)

Series: Trickster Duology {Tamora Pierce} (1), Tortall Universe (24 (Tricksters: Daughter of the Lioness 1))

Alianne must call forth her mother's courage and her father's wit in order to survive on the Copper Isles in a royal court rife with political intrigue and murderous conspiracy.
Member:tinnass
Title:Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness Book 1)
Authors:Tamora Pierce (Author)
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2003), Edition: Reprint, 448 pages

Work Information

Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce (2003)

Crown Duel (Crown Duel / Court Duel) by Sherwood Smith (espertus)
    espertus: Both books are fantasies with strong-minded young female protagonists fighting tyranny in alliance with forces of nature. While both heroines come from noble families, they are very different: Crown Duel's Countess Meliara is a naive and untutored orphan, while Trickster's Alianne has been well schooled by her spymaster father and has lived in the shadow of her famous mother. I think the two sets of books (each of which was first published as two separate novels) might appeal to the same readers, although Court Duel is lighter and Tricksters more complex.… (more)
    StarCrossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce (multilingualmaid)
    Terrier by Tamora Pierce (Morteana)
    Talon of the Unnamed Goddess by C. R. Daems (0628perfect)
    0628perfect: Both of these books have strong female characters. However I think that Aly and Aisha have the same wit and cunning. Aly uses her wit and cunning to be a spy. However Aisha uses her wits to survive to become a Talon. If you enjoyed the spy intrigue of Trickster's choice then you will enjoy the shadow war tactics of the Talons.… (more)
    The Wizard Heir by Cinda Williams Chima (l_rigsby)
    Dragonfly by Julia Golding (foggidawn)
    Aurelia by Anne Osterlund (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories involve young women in powerful positions who must constantly beware of the intrigues (and threats of danger) that surround them. Betrayal is close at hand and an outside spy is brought in to protect them. In Aurelia, it's the princess and her former classmate Robert. In Trickster's Choice - a contender for the position of heir against the established class and a foreigner brought to the country as a slave.… (more)

Everyone I talked to told me this was a good book. However, I was never motivated to keep reading this book. I just put it up. ( )
  mousegrl | Dec 6, 2021 |
Tamora Pierce is one of my all time favorite authors who could only improve upon her writing skills by turning out her books a bit faster. This book like most of her books has wonderful characterization and story line. The world she creates is intriguing and everyone in it seems real and fascinating. Alanna has always been my favorite character of Tamora Pierce's so I am thrilled that her daughter got her own books. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
I hadn't realized how long it had been since I read this series - since I hadn't reviewed it here, at least since 2007. Much too long. I do love Aly - her frustration over not being allowed to do what she's able and interested in doing, the matter-of-fact way she uses her skills when she ends up needing them - she gets caught in a pirate raid and is taken as a slave, and coolly damages herself in fights so that she won't be chosen as a bed-warmer. For instance. She's exceedingly lucky in who ends up getting her...and then she finds out it's a god meddling (as so often happens in Tortall). She never really feels out of her depth - the job she has to do, and the tools and allies she has to do it with, are exactly what she needs and what she's been training for all her life (hmm - more meddling?). I find it very amusing (I can't now remember if it's in this book or the next) when she realizes what Kyprioth's wager with her actually was... This is half a story - well, it's a good story and has more or less an ending, but the second book is really necessary to complete the arc. One story in two books (and according to the author's afterword, the only reason it's not another four-book series is Harry Potter and the realization by publishers that people really will read big fat books). ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Sep 18, 2020 |
Good book.

As expected from Pierce, a solid read worth revisiting. Aly is, in her own way, a fitting heir to both the Lioness and the King of Thieves. ( )
  JessMahler | Jan 9, 2020 |
Protagonist is a bit of a sue. Very nice world-building. Alone, this would be merit "4 stars," but in the Tortallverse, this is just more of the same. Far too much fangirl-service, in my opinion. ( )
  treehorse | Nov 7, 2019 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alvarado, TriniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerardi, JanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Loehr, MalloryCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, LiselotteContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Tortall Universe (24 (Tricksters: Daughter of the Lioness 1))

Is contained in

To Phyllis Westberg, for knowing the best time to fire me and for giving me the best rewrite advice I've ever gotten: read aloud
George Cooper, Baron of Pirate's Swoop, second in command of his realm's spies, put his documents aside and surveyed his only daughter as she paused by his study door.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,321,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible