In Buddha's Kitchen : Cooking, Being Cooked,…

In Buddha's Kitchen : Cooking, Being Cooked, and Other Adventures at a… (edition 2003)

by Kimberley Snow (Author)

The head cook at a Tibetan Buddhist retreat center shares her experiences working in the kitchen and takes a humorous look at the spiritual lessons learned through daily routines, rituals, and interactions.
Member:Gopal_Kamath
Title:In Buddha's Kitchen : Cooking, Being Cooked, and Other Adventures at a Meditation Center
Authors:Kimberley Snow (Author)
Info:Shambhala (2003), Edition: 1, 176 pages

In Buddha's Kitchen: Cooking, Being Cooked, and Other Adventures in a Meditation Center by Kimberley Snow

Snow wrote a pile of essays about her experience in kitchens at a Tibetan Buddhist retreat center and at other times in her life and published them as a book. Some are better than others (I could've done without the dinner theater piece) some sad, some insightful - if you are interested in other peoples insights into themselves (which, sometimes, I am). ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Did we read the same book? I am thoroughly puzzled by the positive reviews this book has on Goodreads and Amazon.com. I thought it was going to be a book about a woman cooking at a Buddhist retreat: basically a food/cooking memoir set at a place where you might least expect.

Instead, the reader is treated to a mishmash of essays on various topics, but very little about the actual cooking and/or the the staff or the people who come to the meditation center/retreat/etc. This was thoroughly disappointing. Snow has a good voice: there were some intriguing bits (for example, there's a too brief part where she is talking to someone about why attendees decide to come to a retreat/center/etc.). But this rather short book was was too self-centered and too uninteresting for my liking.

I wasn't expecting deep insights or a combination of Buddhism with foodie culture or anything like that. But the book is unfortunately not serviced well as being a series of essays (rather than a larger narrative). There's an extremely bizarre chapter dedicated to a play of a chef talking to a dragon while cooking. As reviewed by other people, the play is stereotypical and yes, racist with language, appearance, what appears to be some sort of voodoo magic, etc. No thank you.

I've had this book on my "to read" list for quite awhile, and I'm REALLY glad I chose to borrow it from the library. This was a waste of time and I don't recommend it. ( )
  HoldMyBook | Feb 11, 2018 |
With humor and honesty, Snow recounts her adventures as head
cook at a Tibetan Buddhist retreat center. She shares this world in a light devoid of
preciousness—while expressing with heart the integrity of the spiritual work
being undertaken. We come away from our visit to this exotic realm having found
it both extraordinary and surprisingly familiar. The neuroses, obsessions, and
petty concerns exposed by Snow—both in herself and her fellow staff
members—prove to be grist for the mill for discovering the grace inherent in
life just as it is. ( )
  zenhead | Apr 6, 2016 |
Kimberley Snow's unique take on life at a Buddhist retreat centre exposes the inner workings of such an institution to be just as familiarly claustrophobic and amusing as any small college or private school. She brings to life what is to most people a mysterious, foreign setting in a way that makes us feel we have been there and met the characters.
  Saraswati_Library | May 21, 2010 |
Snow has a wandering spirit. Somehow it leads her from work as a professor in a university to a cook in a kitchen to a chef in a monastery. The time she spent in the monastery seemed to help her and, in the end, she seemed a stronger person. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,822,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible