Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art by…

Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art (original 1993; edition 1994)

by Scott McCloud (Author)

5,204982,112 (4.31)75
Praised throughout the cartoon industry by such luminaries as Art Spiegelman, Matt Groening, and Will Eisner, this innovative comic book provides a detailed look at the history, meaning, and art of comics and cartooning.
Member:davidmoldawer
Title:Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art
Authors:Scott McCloud (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (1994), Edition: Reprint, 224 pages

Work Information

Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art by Scott McCloud (1993)

English (88)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Korean (1)  German (1)  All languages (96)
Equal parts easy to understand and clear as a demonstration of the comic form. He makes quite a few compelling arguments for the significance of comics as a medium. ( )
  bobbybslax | Feb 9, 2024 |
Comics are mainstream now, I think maybe in part because of Mccloud's work. ( )
  mykl-s | Aug 13, 2023 |
A very clever explanation of what Comics are and how they work. The author is our guide and he shows and becomes what he explains. ( )
  markm2315 | Jul 1, 2023 |
McCloud is passionate and erudite about his subject. His discussion transcends "understanding comics" to figuring out art's role in the world. I taught a graphic novel in my English class this year, and this handy little tome helped me explain some of the conceptual ideas behind the form and the genre. ( )
  jonbrammer | Jul 1, 2023 |
I read this book around the time it first came out, and there was really nothing like it then. On re-reading it nearly 30 years later, there is still really nothing like it. It is an explanation of how comics work, and an argument that comics are an art form worth of study and consideration, equal to and distinct from literature or painting.

While I have yet to see another book like this one in the 30 years since it was first published, I have seen wider acceptance of McCloud's ideas, and a much wider variety of comics and the voices telling those stories. ( )
  rumbledethumps | Jun 26, 2023 |

Scott McCloudprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eisner, WillEditorial advisorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilEditorial Advisorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lappan, BobLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martin, MarkEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
My old pal Matt Feazell called the other day.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,295,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible