HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Blood, sweat, and tears by Winston Churchill

Blood, sweat, and tears

by Winston Churchill

This first volume of collected essays and journalism from the Nobel Prize-winning prime minister includes some of his most important WWII speeches.   Legendary politician and military strategist Winston S. Churchill was a master not only of the battlefield, but of the page and the podium. Over the course of forty books and countless speeches, broadcasts, news items and more, he addressed a country at war and at peace, thrilling with victory but uneasy with its shifting role in global politics. In 1953, he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature for "his mastery of historical and biographical description as well as for brilliant oratory in defending exalted human values." During his lifetime, he enthralled readers and brought crowds roaring to their feet; in the years since his death, his skilled writing has inspired generations of eager history buffs.   Churchill was at his best when rallying Britons to the twin causes of war and justice, delivering inspiration and hope during the hard years of bombings, violence, sacrifice, and terror. This compilation, composed of speeches made in the early years of the war, contains some of his best. Profound words from famous speeches in this collection include: "This was their finest hour;" "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed, by so many, to so few;" and "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat."   Many decades after the end of the war, Churchill's words still have the power to stir the blood--and inspire the heart. A must-read for all WWII history fans.… (more)
Member:comptonjohn

Work Information

Blood, Sweat, and Tears by Winston S. Churchill

Into Battle: Speeches By The Right Hon Winston S Churchill C H, MP
  tony_sturges | Jul 13, 2018 |
Preface and note by Randolph Churchill. Speeches, from May, 1938 to February, 1941, following the WHILE ENGLAND SLEPT volume .This edition includes speeches not in the U.K. edition

"Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilisation. Upon it depends our own British life and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us now. Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age, made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'
Speech in the House of Commons, June 18, 1940 "War Situation"

After reading a speech like that, nothing can compare! This book is a collection of early war speeches dealing with WWII in Europe and Africa. It mentions the U.S. several times, but only in passing. Churchill is eloquent, succint, and arousing. His speeches should be studied by students, scholars and the common man. They are timeless as is morality and doing what is right. ( )
  Tess_W | Jan 24, 2011 |
CYAA
  JohnMeeks | Jun 10, 2010 |
fascinating collection of his original speeches from May, 1938 to November, 1941.like reading the news as it happens, you are there.....great, motivational speech witing by whomever.... ( )
  spearr | Sep 25, 2009 |
Shows the power of Churchill's oratory. I started wondering as I read it, though, if the Nazis just happened to match in over-the-top evil how forceful Churchill's speeches would be on any topic. ( )
  Poemblaze | Aug 14, 2006 |

Winston S. Churchillprimary authorall editionscalculated
Churchill, Randolph SEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Churchill, Randolph S.Prefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The first in the published series of Churchill's War Speeches, this book appeared in England under the title Into Battle.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,870,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible