Neuromancer by William Gibson

Neuromancer (original 1984; edition 1986)

by William Gibson

Series: Sprawl (1)

Member:towo
Title:Neuromancer
Authors:William Gibson
Info:Ace (1986), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:cyberpunk, science fiction, artificial intelligence, conspiracy, virtual reality, fiction

Neuromancer by William Gibson (1984)

Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow (Project2501)
    Project2501: Shares similar themes such as the ghost dive, cyborgs, artificial intelligence, etc.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (thebookpile)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Vurt by Jeff Noon (falkman)
    Pattern Recognition by William Gibson (sturlington)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (LamontCranston)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: Though Rubicon Harvest is not cyber-punk, the worlds within are reminiscent of Philip K. Dick and Gibson's gritty, raw Sprawl-like society--complete with hyper-advanced computer processing (liquid digital optical processors!) and synthetic designer drugs that make 'jacking -in' and Substance-D seem like candy!… (more)
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (andomck)
    andomck: Neuromancer is exactly the type of 80's nerd culture that Oscar Wait submerged himself in.
    When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger (majkia)
    Trouble and Her Friends by Melissa Scott (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Cyberpunk noir
    The Electric Church by Jeff Somers (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: If you like your cyberpunk with a bit of noir detective pulps, you'll like Jeff Somers.
    Babylon Babies by Maurice G. Dantec (S_Meyerson)
    After the Long Goodbye by Masaki Yamada (Project2501)
    The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (g33kgrrl)
    Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: South African cyberpunk
1980s (17)

English (259)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Tagalog (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All (270)
There's something about this book. Something odd and a little other-worldly way that feels both surreal and prescient, even now, even still, so long after it was written. And part of it is the reality of this world, and Gibson's willingness to make his readers WORK for it. This isn't an easy read to let float by, and there were some times when I put it down, unsure how I even felt about it... but then I'd pick it back up, and find myself unable to just read a single chapter, or even two; instead, I read it in maybe five sittings, in spurts of 70 pages or so after that first day I picked it up, and read just enough to get a taste.

Whatever reason brings you to it--whether you want to know what got the ball rolling with cyberpunk and changed sci-fi, or how this was written when it was, or love sci-fi or have simply heard it's a classic--I think you'll find something here. The characters feel so real as to be able to step out of the page, and there are moments when Gibson's writing is simply perfect, rough and beautiful and everything it needs to be. In a really odd way, this reminded me of how I felt when I first read Jesus' Son, and when I first read Crime and Punishment. All such different books... all incredibly powerful, and driven by authors with exacting sensibilities that pushed readers to see differently, and maybe even learn differently.

I can't wait to read it again. ( )
1 vote whitewavedarling | Oct 14, 2017 |
Decent sci-fi story. ( )
  br77rino | Oct 13, 2017 |
Some science fiction ages well, and some does not. I went into this prepared to be disappointed. After a bad run through Haldeman's socially dated The Forever War, I wasn't feeling optimistic about a 1984 book on the subject of computer networks and hacking. In 1984, remember, the Internet was a newborn. TCP/IP was two years old. The term "computer virus" was only coined that same year. The first great computer worm wouldn't appear until 1988. Surely, this would be science fiction that doesn't age well.
And yet. And yet! Somehow, against all odds, this book is great. The technology is totally believable (Gibson was smart enough to describe the broader concepts only vaguely, leaving the reader's imagination to fill in the gaps). The vision of the world of cyberspace is eerily accurate, complete with corporate fiefdoms and a new mercenary class of thieves and profiteers. And most importantly, it's a good book. The characters are compelling and complicated and human. The setting has the vibrant hodgepodge that would come to exemplify the cyberpunk genre, little bits of today's society thrown in a blender, amped up, lit in neon. And the plot is gripping the whole way through, each piece of information leading to new questions.
The only thing I can hold against it: the descriptions of cyberspace as a glowing virtual city and the urgency of operators tapping away at their keypads are so evocative that I suspect this book was the origin of all the crap that shows up in every Hollywood hacker movie. Still, that's hardly William Gibson's fault, now is it? ( )
3 vote iangreenleaf | Sep 19, 2017 |
it had some good qualities but just dragged along without any overwhelming characters; left too much on the table for me ( )
  longhorndaniel | Jul 19, 2017 |
I don't quit books easily, or lightly. I started this one under the impression that it was one of the best of new scifi - unfortunately, I deem it one of the worst. I really don't know how it can be seen otherwise.

I am not sure what language Gibson used to write the book - I gave up trying to figure it out after 100 pages or so. Some sort of cross between ganster rap and Jim Rome's glossary of smack. Perhaps if Gibson had included a dictionary, it wouldn't have been as bad. So abandoning the translation, I tried to look at the characters and plot. No dice; dimensionless, thoroughly unlikeable characters and overly convoluted and poorly written pseudoplot clouded by the bizarre terms introduced without any reference frame, this book can only appeal to those pretentious pseudo-intellectuals desiring to spout nonsense about how deep the work is, or what the artist was trying to convey in his/her painting, or how the scuplture evokes feelings of motion. Tripe.

I tend to be pretty stubborn about books. I'll set aside a book for a year or more, placed marked, of course, to eventually get through it. I cannot do that with this book. Halfway through, I found nothing to redeem the lost time I invested in reading that far. More's the pity because Neuromancer is touted as a revitalization of the genre. I guess I'm wrong in my opinion that the genre needed no jumpstart. Certainly not in a form such as this.

Whatever cyberpunk is, this is the nadir and not the apex, and it's a sure thing I'll not be reading any more of it. Maybe a long shower will wash away the residue and I can get back to some real science fiction. I want to give it a half-star, but I'll give Gibson another half for his decidedly warped imagination. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
A new vocabulary for a transformed reality: the deeply influential cyberpunk classic, 30 years on from its original publication
added by dClauzel | editThe Guardian, John Mullan (Nov 7, 2014)

I have to apologize for failing to review William Gibson's "Neuromancer" when it appeared last year. I was led to believe I had done Mr. Gibson an injustice when this novel (the author's first) won both of the important 1984 best-of-the-year awards in science fiction: the Nebula and the Hugo. Now that I have read the book, I would like to cast a belated ballot for Mr. Gibson.

Ovo je roman koji je započeo kiberpank revoluciju, prva knjiga koja je dobila sveto trojstvo nagrada u žanru naučne fantastike - Hugo, Nebula i Filip K. Dik.

Sa Neuromantom, Vilijem Gibson je predstavio svetu kiberprostor i naučna fantastika više nikada nije bila ista. Gibson je svojim romanom najavio sve ono što je došlo godinama kasnije, Internet revoluciju, Matriks filmska trilogiju i neverovatan razvoj informatičkih tehnologija. Kejs je najbolji kompjuterski kauboj koji krstari informatičkim supermagistralama, povezujući svoju svest sa softverom u kiberprostoru, krećući se kroz obilje podataka, pronalazeći tajne informacije za onoga ko može da plati njegove usluge. Kada prevari pogrešne ljude, oni mu se svete na užasan način, uništavajući njegov nervni sistem, mikron po mikron. Proteran iz kiberprostora i zarobljen u svom otupelom telu, Kejs je osuđen na smrt u tehnološkom podzemlju, sve dok ga jednog dana ne angažuju misteriozni poslodavci. Oni mu nude drugu priliku i potpuno izlečenje. Jedini uslov je da prodre u matricu, neverovatno moćnu veštačku inteligenciju kojom upravlja poslovni klan Tezje-Ešpul.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Sandrelli, SandroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sterling, BruceAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warhola, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the All Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
for Deb
who made it possible
with love
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
See, those things, they can work real hard, buy themselves time to write cookbooks or whatever, but the minute, I mean the nanosecond, that one starts figuring out ways to make itself smarter, Turing'll wipe it. Nobody trusts those fuckers, you know that. Every AI ever built has an electromagnetic shotgun wired to its forehead.
I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.
Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts. … A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding.
"To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it is real in another way. You know that, Case. Your business is to learn the names of programs, the long formal names, names the owners seek to conceal. True names ...." [AI Neuromancer to Case, p243]
NEUROMANCER was written by William Gibson.

Cyber jocks assault.
Founders, corroded, can't stop
The AI jailbreak.

(enterthephil)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441569595, Mass Market Paperback)

Here is the novel that started it all, launching the cyberpunk generation, and the first novel to win the holy trinity of science fiction: the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award and the Philip K. Dick Award. With Neuromancer, William Gibson introduced the world to cyberspace--and science fiction has never been the same.

Case was the hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway--jacking his consciousness into cyberspace, soaring through tactile lattices of data and logic, rustling encoded secrets for anyone with the money to buy his skills. Then he double-crossed the wrong people, who caught up with him in a big way--and burned the talent out of his brain, micron by micron. Banished from cyberspace, trapped in the meat of his physical body, Case courted death in the high-tech underworld. Until a shadowy conspiracy offered him a second chance--and a cure--for a price....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

Case, a burned out computer whiz, is asked to steal a security code that is locked in the most heavily guarded databank in the solar system.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,524,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible